Weber head conversion complete and running

PostPost by: gsminors » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:21 pm

At last the weber conversion project is done. Lots of work and lots of $s. It is running. I have attached picture to show what it looks like. The difference between the weber and stomberg is night and day. The engine now idles very smooth and accelerates smoother as well, very happy with it. I have now sold the car and it will going to its new owner end of this month. So Frank if you see this she is ready for you.
I will be more then happy to share any information about the conversion if you are interested. I think it was well worth it and this is the set up the engine was designed for. This may well be my last post for a while. My next project is to build a Locost from scratch.
Attachments
IMG_1467.JPG and
Weber head conversion
Geoff Minors
1969 Lotus Elan +2
1972 MGB (being restored)
1981 Fiat X19
1973 Norton 850 Commando
gsminors
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: frankyb » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:39 am

Thanks Jeoff, she looks great
frankyb
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:20 am

Is this the difference between an original Federal-spec Stromberg & Weber, or between a UK-spec Stromberg & Weber? :wink:
A poorly set-up UK Stromberg can be really b..a..d.... :x

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: PWTrusty » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:39 pm

In the process of building a weber engine for my 72 +2. The original engine with 24k miles has Strombergs are just too fickled , needles and seats are almost impossible to find. Found a L block that had been overbored so it was resleeved and a Stromberg head that was convereted to Webers w/ large exhaust valves. Stage II cams and will have weber 40's an start with 38 chokes. will work with the jets. for now plantronic ignition but have some good experience with a full Jensen CDI ignition .
Using a NippoDenso alternator from a Chevy Metro and a stock ( rebuilt) radiator w/ shrouded fan. Already use a oil cooler but the beast still runs warm with the orginal engine. The super starter was worth the money.
did you use the Lotus radiator
tell me about the ignition system
why the cutoff valve on the heater water hose?
anyone ever installed a overdrive on the 4 speed? Lots of motorway drivng here and reducing the rpms from over 4 to 3 would be a welcome improvement.
Phil in Tennessee
PWTrusty
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:18 pm

Matthew

The Federal stromberg engines had the secondary butterflys and pipes crossing over to the exhaust to preheat the incoming charge. They also has a more retarded ignition compared to the UK / Europena stromberg engines all in the name of emissions compliance. Relatively easy to convert a federal stromberg to European spec if no longer have to comply to orginal emissions design or specifications.

The US weber engines where the same is European weber engines of the same vintage before the strombergs where introduced for emissions reasons.

Phil
You will not get 38mm chokes to work in a 40DCOE. 36mm are the biggest you can use and best not to go beyond 34mm. Anything bigger and better to use 45DCOE. For a road engine though 33 or 34 mm chokes are sufficient for McCoy head and probably the cam you are using.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:42 pm

I rocognise that head :D :D

good job....well done
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: