Fuel guage sender - how to tighten up the ring?

PostPost by: alaric » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:09 pm

Hi all. I've just been fitting my new fuel guage sender in the glorious sunshine. Is there a special tool to tighten up the ring that holds the sender in place and compresses the rubber gasket? How do people manage to tighten it up otherwise?

Thanks.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RobL7/Elan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:14 pm

Sean,

It is indeed a tight spot between the tank and the bulkhead in the trunk. I had a very slow but irritating leak there, and dreaded taking the tank out just to snug up the screws in the ring, so I got a short screw insert that goes in one of those magnetic, interchangeable, tip, screw drivers and held it from above with a narrow vice grip. It fit between the tank and the bulkhead, and could be turned from above. True it did take a bit of contortion, but that comes with owning a Lotus. (or any British car). The other route is to take the tank out and do it. Good luck.

Rob
65 Elan S2, 96 Catheram 7
RobL7/Elan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:59 pm

Thanks. My tank is a shiny new one and the car is still in bits so access is not the issue. Sounds like a bar between two of the little pegs is the solution - I'd rather use all three to get it tight. Haha! What about a set square! That has the right sort of straight edges, and I should be able to make contact on all three pegs. I'll give it a try.

All the best.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RobL7/Elan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:19 pm

Sean,

Right! Get it good and sealed before you put the tank back in and you'll not have to mess with it! My tank was removed cleaned and sealed, but I think they didn't get the circular plate sealed well and tightened before putting it back, and thus tightening those hard to get at screws with the tank in place. Good luck on the restoration, post some pics when you're done.

Rob
RobL7/Elan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:04 pm

Rob and Sean, you probably have it solved by now but... Waterpump adjustable pliers on the lugs will get it tight enough. Far as I know, there are no screws involved and being a Plus 2, access is very good once carpet & plywood boot bulkhead removed. Make sure you use a new gasket (Sue Miller amongst others has them)
Regards
Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:53 pm

I took one look after my last post and realised my suggestion was completely barking. After some fiddling around I resorted to tapping the lugs on the ring with a pin punch - probably not recomended but it's in now and looks tight enough to be compressing the rubber.

I'll look into the water pump pliers as I may want to replace the securing ring and do the job properly.

All the best.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: