Early type Weber backplate question

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Tue May 27, 2008 7:21 pm

Hi all

Just a simple question really. On my early, rounded weber backplate, the bracket (that comes off the back that holds the throttle cable end) appears to be slightly bent backwards towards the left (if lookong from above) . Should it be at a right angle to the backplate as I suspect?
It seems to be leaning back about 5-10 degrees and does not look quite right. I would like to have posted a picture but to be honest, I'm not quite sure what I need to do. If anyone can help me with the question or how to post a picture, then I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: prloz » Wed May 28, 2008 1:37 am

Hi Adam,
Your backplate is probably O.K.
I have an original 1966 S3 backplate. The bracket also leans to the left about 5-10 degrees.
Does the cable line up O.K. with the lever on the carb. ?
Regards,
Peter.
prloz
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed May 28, 2008 1:50 am

Howdy, mine is at a 90' right angle, the bracket and cable hookup line up halfway between manifold intakes two and three. No bend. Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed May 28, 2008 5:25 pm

Mine is straight too.

Hey this sounds like a willy waving session :lol: :lol:
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rodbean » Thu May 29, 2008 2:29 pm

Adam,

I wonder if a previous owner may have done this to prevent the carbs from hitting the bodywork as the engine sagged from old motor mounts. Just my guess.

Rod Bean

Pastapesto wrote:Hi all

Just a simple question really. On my early, rounded weber backplate, the bracket (that comes off the back that holds the throttle cable end) appears to be slightly bent backwards towards the left (if lookong from above) . Should it be at a right angle to the backplate as I suspect?
It seems to be leaning back about 5-10 degrees and does not look quite right. I would like to have posted a picture but to be honest, I'm not quite sure what I need to do. If anyone can help me with the question or how to post a picture, then I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Adam
rodbean
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri May 30, 2008 3:51 am

If I may jump back in here, after
Rod Bean's
reply,,,,, wink wink,
I believe the willy comments are best found on Corvette club sites.
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rodbean » Fri May 30, 2008 10:53 pm

"willy comments"? What are those? You'll have to educate me.

Rod

1964 S1 wrote:If I may jump back in here, after
Rod Bean's
reply,,,,, wink wink,
I believe the willy comments are best found on Corvette club sites.
Eric
rodbean
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat May 31, 2008 3:45 am

Hello Rod,
Where in the world do you live?
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rodbean » Sat May 31, 2008 11:04 pm

1964 S1 wrote:Hello Rod,
Where in the world do you live?
Eric

Hello Eric,

Garden Grove, CA
rodbean
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldokie » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:33 pm

Corvettes have always given me the "willies"!! I live in LoCal as well (Riverside).
Gene
oldokie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rodbean » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:45 pm

oldokie wrote:Corvettes have always given me the "willies"!! I live in LoCal as well (Riverside).

Yes they used to give me the "willies" too until I got one. My stock C5-Z06 is really a better race car than many race cars and is reliable too.

Since you're close to my playgrounds, you should drop in at Willow Springs sometime and I'll show you what I mean. I'll be instructing there (big track) this Thursday 6/5/08. It won't cost you anything if you'd like to come out for a ride.

All that said, my favorite race car was the Elan I raced in the 80s. And although the Corvette now fulfills those needs, I couldn't image life without my Elans. There's something about driving an Elan... even just looking at it.. I don't know, I guess they're part of me.

Rod
rodbean
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rodbean » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 pm

rodbean wrote:
oldokie wrote:Corvettes have always given me the "willies"!! I live in LoCal as well (Riverside).

> I couldn't image life without my Elans. There's something about driving an > Elan... even just looking at it.. I don't know, I guess they're part of me.

Rod

That should read "imagine", not "image".

It occurs to me that this discussion is a bit off the original topic. My email address is [email protected] if you need more information about track days, schools, etc.

Rod
rodbean
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: