K&N etc...

PostPost by: rocket » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:17 pm

Had my plus 2 a few months now,having sorted main mech problems,touch wood...and being happy with general bodywork and such,im moving on to little things now.Engine runs lovely so dont want to upset things but do like the looks etc of K&N type filters as opposed to usual original set up..anyone any experience of changing to these,if so any problems with carb set up? type of filters to use?
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Alasdair » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:44 pm

All my Louts cars, Climax and Twinks have K&N, if for no other reason the sound!!

They just bolt on, no carb changes for me in any way, easy to maintain/clean, only issue is the throttle cable anchor on the Twink.

Go to the K&N site, good info and price there.
Alasdair.

1953 David Brown Cropmaster
1954 S1 Land Rover
1962 Elite S2
1966 Lotus Cortina MK1
1968 Elan S3 SS Coupe Sold.
1968 Austin J40
1969 Elan S4 SE DHC
1972 Elan Sprint
1967 Citroen DS21.
Alasdair
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:01 pm

personally i have fitted a K & N style cone airfilter in the nose cone,, you still get the louder induction roar whilst still giving a quieter cabin on A roads/motorways, also no need to mess with the throttle return or engine breather in the airbox, also with the filter in the nose still, the engine gets supplied with cool, therefore denser air, without the restriction of the standard effort.

just ny twopennyworth!!

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:23 pm

Nice one Alasdair - totally agree about the sound! I was considering this very thing last night. Could you / someone tell me more about the impact on the throttle cable anchor and the breather return? Photos would be great if anyone has some.

Thanks.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:22 am

alaric wrote:Nice one Alasdair - totally agree about the sound! I was considering this very thing last night. Could you / someone tell me more about the impact on the throttle cable anchor and the breather return? Photos would be great if anyone has some.

Thanks.

Sean.

try a PM to Matt on the forum, he has removed the K&N set up from his car and fitted the original spec airbox, the breather was fitted into the rear of the rear K&N if i remember correctly, I cant remember what the throttle return spring set up was though. Matt will have detailed pictures and possibly still has the filters so could send you pics/dimensions if needed.

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:00 am

Rocket
K&N filters have been discussed a few times, and the choices are as follows:-

Fit a K&N in the original air cannister. I have not found an ideal size to fit having trawled through the K&N website and talked to the company.
Also the problem with the original air cannister is it is too restrictive and sits in front of the radiator.

For racing a pair of K&Ns are bolted straight to the carbs. This is very noisy with massive induction roar and a lot of owners find the noise too much on a road car.
Bolting straight to the carbs means you remove the air box back plate which has the throttle bracket on it so you need to fit a throttle linkage that mounts onto the top of the carbs or make a bracket up. You also will need to do something about the engine breather that vents into the back of the airbox.There has been talk about taking hot air from behind the radiator with this system, when the car is moving it should not be a problem but when in slow moving/stationary traffic it might become an issue.

The final option and the one I went for was a remote filter. This basically replaces the original air cannister. I designed and made up a mounting bracket so the original trunking can fit straight onto it and the filter just bolts on.
On my Sprint I positioned it on the inner wing in front of the radiator,so it is a nice tidy installation (picture on my website) . In this position it does not sit in front of the radiator restricting air flow and also being higher up stays cleaner as it is not so exposed to muck from the road. As you are still using the airbox bolted to the carbs you do not have to do anything to the throttle or engine breather.
There is a slight increase in induction noise but not excessive.

K&Ns are worth fitting, I can only really comment on the system I fitted, but myself and a few other owners using this system have noticed the engine responds and revs much cleaner.

Cliveyboy
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:59 am

useful info thanks to you all..i have dug into archives..fire risk pops up a lot?
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:55 pm

I too use cliveyboys system to catch cooler air and made a simple bracket to secure the K&N filter in front of the rad. Clives bracket looks much nicer then mine. I was motivated by the current exchange rate. Sounds great when you get on it and is quiet at low revs. It also seems to rev easier. It does not increase the fire problems any more then the original set up.

sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:29 pm

I implemented the Cliveyboy setup as well, with my own brackets. You can't see the brackets, and in any case, when the bonnet is on, you can hardly see the air cleaner. The photo shows the location (on an S2) with the bonnet removed. There is a bit more induction noise with the bonnet off, but with the bonnet on I hardly notice a difference.
Attachments
AirCleaner.JPG and
I'm not sure whether this would fit as well with the original vacuum actuators, but I've converted to electrics.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:13 pm

Hello
I had to fit K&Ns to improve the air intake to lower the CO2 emmissions to an acceptable level here in France
I cut (close youir ears anyone who thinks original is best) the air box to leave a plate with the bracket for the linkage, and then sandwiched this between two gaskets between the carbs and the K&Ns. Lovely Sound , I only wish my wife would agree!
Personnally I didn't like the duct and the restriction in the airflow to the radiator

Get cutting !!!!

Terry
Attachments
P3220015a.jpg and
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:19 pm

Thanks for the piccies - very useful. I'm still undecided - waiting to hear back re prices.

All the best.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Uboat » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:40 am

Does anyone have the product number of a suitable K&N filter for a +2, mounted a la cliveyboy?
Uboat
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:52 pm

UBoat
You can in theory use any K&N filter with a big enough surface area. The trick is mating it upto the flexible trunking and fixing it to the car.
It depends on your budget and practical abilities.
For ?50 you could buy a filter and make up some brackets and adaptor, Alternatively spend more and buy the complete kit ready to fit.

Cliveyboy
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Uboat » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:29 pm

OK, thanks!
Uboat
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:23 am

This is what I used on my S3 Coupe';

Air-box Hose Mighty Flow 3-19/32 X 32-1/2
Cone filter K&N RE-810

Plumbed into a stock carburator air box. I had vacuum pods and found no issue with finding a suitable mounting location.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: