Airbox backplate seal?

PostPost by: jimbo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:49 am

Forgive me for bringing up an old favourite ... I've spent some time searching but just want to confirm the facts.

Should there be a gasket between the airbox backplate and the carbs? I can't find any evidence of one in any of my books/manuals, but metal to metal seems a bit nasty and unlikely to form an air tight seal.

The same goes for sealing the airbox front to the backplate. The service manual shows a gasket. Are these still available or shoud I just use Silicon sealant on both joints?

Thanks in advance,

James

PS - It's a 72 Sprint on Webbers
Last edited by jimbo on Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Vanden Perre » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:11 pm

James,
All I can tell you is what I have on mine (S3). No gasket between air box back plate and carburators but well one between air box and air box back plate.
I believe it is standard.
Olivier.
Vanden Perre
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DJThom » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:53 pm

I made gaskets to go between carbs and airbox. I avoid metal to metal whenever possible.

Regarding the seal between the airbox and backplate. I ordered some from one of the suppliers and got the same seal used on my trunk lid (S2 small lid). Not sure thats the original type or not, but it works fine.

D
'66 Lotus Elan S2 Roadster RHD
DJThom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:37 pm

Thanks for the replies ... I ordered a couple of these which I think should do the trick! 8)

James
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:06 pm

There are definately gaskets available between carbs and air box but whether Lotus actually fitted these to Elans is debateable. They are not shown in the workshop manual but In Fuel System Additional Information in the Workshop Manual, commencing at Engine No C 22414, the air trumpets are sealed with "Hylomar SQ.32M before being fitted to the carbs. This is shown at Section L - Fuel System page 55/56.

I was advised at a Club Lotus Technical Seminar that Elan twincams run better with a depression in the air box, caused by pressure drop across the air filter. If there is not much of a pressure drop then unfiltered air is getting into the engine. Hence the need for a good seal between carbs / air box backplate / backplate to air box / air box / trunking / trunking to filter casing. This also reduces tendency to backfire, and will result in extended engine life.

Gordon
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:54 pm

Hi Gordon,

Is that the same as Hylomar Universal Blue?

Also your manual must be different to mine, as in my copy pages 55/56 in Section L refer to the "Fuel tank filler cap", "Starter housing" and "Evaporative loss control" ...

Cheers,

James
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Dave-M » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:28 am

James,
Forget Hylomar and use Wellseal. (ref Miles Wilkins book). It,s the best.

Gordon,
I think the real reason for sealing the air trumpets is not to prevent air getting in, but fuel getting out and into the airbox.
Fuel can leak from around the auxilliary venturi and then into the airbox, assisted by the depression in the airbox, sealing the air trumpet will prevent this.

All Airboxes (plenum chambers) will be at below atmospheric pressure while the engine is running (ignoring turbo & supercharging) and the greater the pressure drop across the filter the greater the depression in the airbox.
External air leaking into the airbox will always carry the risk of dust being drawn in, but assuming flat mating surfaces and the relativly clean underbonnet environment, I would think the lack of gaskets would not be too critical.
Having said all that, what I did when I fitted my modified airbox was to attach some 3mm closed cell foam, (the type used for camping mats), to the flat mating face of the airbox, and fitted the same gakets as per James between carb and backplate.
Regards
Dave
1970 plus2s & Rochdale Olympic & Rochdale GT
Dave-M
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dusty » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:36 pm

The seal for use between the two halves of the airbox comes up on ebay quite regularly, I bought one and it fits perfectly.

dusty
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:41 pm

Sorry James, I was looking at my +2 Manua!! All good stuff and anything to stop fuel from dribbling onto a sparky dizzy must be a good thing!!!

Gordon
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:50 am

Its all good info Gordon. Thanks! :D

PS - Excellent book! Sorry to read that Custard is no more (at least in original form).
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ddddumas » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:25 pm

I've gotten the Elan airbox gasket, in factory-sealed Lotus packageing from Ray at r.d. enterprises, www.rdent.com. It is a 1/2" O.D. continuous loop of round Buna-N rope, with a 1/16" W x 1/4" D reglet cut-in to make it C-shaped in section.
Paul Garrett
ddddumas
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: umbyfer » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:39 pm

Hello,

same problem: any gaskets between weber carbs and backplate? what is standard originally and wich advise?

Reading this topic I remain a little confiused...

Thank you,

Umberto
Elan Sprint 7108000193K
Umberto Ferrari
Modena - Italy
Elan Sprint 7108000193K
Elite SII #1319
umbyfer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:00 pm

I bought a cork gasket many years ago which fitted between the two halves of the air box on my Sprint. It looked very similar to a cam cover gasket on a early push rod engine. I have never managed to source a replacement (yet)...

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: umbyfer » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:03 pm

And between carbs and backplate do you have something?

thanks.

Umberto
elan sprint
Umberto Ferrari
Modena - Italy
Elan Sprint 7108000193K
Elite SII #1319
umbyfer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:27 am

well after worrying about nuts getting loose and air leaks into the air box heres my solution ---cost $6.00 [thats huppence tuppence and a penny ] for a shop vac filter and 4 tie wraps ---works a treat -and looks ' real boy racer 'too --ed
Attachments
P1010014.JPG
P1010014.JPG (26.61 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
Last edited by twincamman on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: