Suggestion for rebuilding Webers

PostPost by: johnstice » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:51 pm

Hello

Looking for suggestions on who to use to rebuild pair Weber 40DCOE type 18 carbs. I'm located in the SF Bay Area.

Has anyone used Pierce Magnifold in Gilroy to rebuild carbs? I understood they are the Weber US parts and service representative?

Thanks for any help in advance

John Stice
36/6453
johnstice
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:18 pm

John,

I've bought some parts from them in the past and it was a good experience. Some folks on the tomyang.net vintage ferrari site report good experiences with them rebuilding their Webers. I believe Mike Pierce is the man to talk to. He's reported to have good knowledge, a good parts inventory, tools, and is able to do some things that I know I wouldn't like to try, like bending base flanges back into shape using some sort of oven technique.

I don't know how far you want to go, but you might ask him how he cleans the body and internal passages. The best way IMO is to remove all the lead plugs, immerse the body in an ultrasonic cleaner, blow it out, and install new lead plugs. If he has a Weber tool set and is real good, he might be able to recondition jet and needle valve seats.

You could of course elect something a lot less drastic and intrusive.

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pamitchell » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:48 pm

John;

You can try Gron Perry for Weber rebuilds & tuning. He came recommended from my engine builder, Terry Tinney @ Performance Motors in Livermore. Gron is also an instructor at the Racing Mechanics school at Infineon (Jim Russell?). He worked wonders on my friend's Elan w. Webers. Nice guy and with no attitude.

The Weber guy is Gron Perry cell 408.781.3770. Lives in So. San Jose (Blossom Hill) $85/hr for tuning. Does rebuilds too.
Rgds,
Phil
Phil
1968 S4/SE FHC 36-7936
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:08 pm

If you are fitting the carbs back on the car yourself get a carb synchronizer, it make a big difference compared with the carbs being out of balance... As I discovered the hard way

Carl
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wojeepster » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:56 am

I know it is low tech and I have a syncronizing tool but I use a 2 foot piece of rubber gas line and listen to the "suck" and you can do a better job of syncronizing without dragging the engine down. It is simply amazing at how small a difference you can hear.
wojeepster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tesprit » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:49 pm

I have bought Weber parts from Pierce before and they were reasonable, but I don't have any experience with them doing any work. Why not rebuild the carbs yourself? It really isn't that hard if you have the Haynes Weber shop manual.
tesprit
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: