Half full?

PostPost by: Gasman » Thu May 03, 2007 7:58 pm

The manual says the fuel tank should take 59l. I can only get 45 in from absolutely empty and then the guage reads 3/4 full. This is annoying and a bit of a problem as I am using an octane booster that recommends 40l to dilute a bottle.
Am I being to shy in filling the filler tube up to the top? looking at the lay of the tank and breathers that's the only way I'm going to get over 40l in.

What do you guys normally manage to fit in?

Cheers

Mark
Gasman
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Gasman » Thu May 03, 2007 8:00 pm

Oop sorry should have posted this on the +2 site.

Mark
Gasman
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Fri May 04, 2007 9:43 am

Hi Mark,

How are you?

The max I manage for my +2 is also about 45l....reading about 3/4
full.

I'm pretty sure that it's a breather issue.

It's on my list of things to rectify, but way down the list at the moment.

But....pretty sure it's because the breathers do not let the air out
of the tank efficiently when it's being filled.

There are a number suggested solutions for improving the tank
breathing including this article from Club Lotus Mag:

Take care,
Peter 1973 +2S 130/5
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Fri May 04, 2007 9:54 am

Hi again Mark,

Trying for a second time to post the pic for the breather
solution:

Sorry, rotated by 180 to allow for forum size limits.

Take care,
Peter - with my Elan and the Sun waiting outside!!
Attachments
elanfueltank_small_180.jpg and
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Gasman » Fri May 04, 2007 2:42 pm

Thanks

I initially thought it was a breathing problem, so took back panel out, breathers off, blasted them out and checked the holes to the tank were clear. I was disappointed to see the level in the filler hose had not dropped from about 3ins from the cap.
When you look at you diagram I suppose to fill the tank fully you have to fill the inlet hose to the top. It just seems a bit dangerous to me.

Mark
Gasman
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Greg Foster » Fri May 04, 2007 10:02 pm

Off the subject just a little..... Does anyone have an extra sending unit for the gas tank of a baby elan?? In the US? I need one. Thanks
Greg
'67 s3 SS
'72 +2 S130
Greg Foster
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat May 05, 2007 12:45 am

I'd be very careful trying to fill a +2 to the brim. That's a lotta sloshing gas in a fiberglass bodied car with the battery bolted next to the tank. This IS how you spell receipe for disaster. Are your tail light wire connections tight?
One of us could measure the tank to figure out it's volume. It wouldn't surprise me to learn Lotus fudged the size (to increase range?) in the manuals' capacities information.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat May 05, 2007 6:11 am

Maybe this is why I'm struggling with the filler cap leak problem at the moment,I always try to fill to the brim ...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sun May 06, 2007 10:53 am

Highest fill from warning light on for 30 miles to full was 46.9 litres... The car had done 289miles from last fill. Usual fill is around 36-40litres. As I am rather sad, I run a spreadsheet for the fuel consumption for my cars and have history going back to start of my ownership (5 years). Average is 180-230 miles from full to warning light. Calm motorway miles gives best mileage.

Guage has never registered past 3/4 full. My usual stop point is when the foaming gets close to the brim - nozzle in full, fill till the pump cuts out, then the last few litres are done carefully.

Interestingly, if the guage shows around 1/4 left, and you put the lights on, the tank fills itself and goes back up to 1/2 full! Perhaps its time for a solid state voltage regulator...

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gasman » Sun May 06, 2007 7:07 pm

Thanks guys,
Just shows how brilliant this site is.
I got 68 miles from when the warning light came on before it stuttered and I refilled from a can. I wanted to see how much I could get in from truely empty.
I'll play safe and not go beyond 40 miles on empty from now on.

Mark
Gasman
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Mon May 07, 2007 2:40 am

"I'll play safe and not go beyond 40 miles on empty from now on."

The magic of owning a Lotus.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Mon May 07, 2007 5:37 pm

Gasman wrote:.....
I got 68 miles from when the warning light came on before it stuttered and I refilled from a can. I wanted to see how much I could get in from truely empty.

Mark

I would not recommend running dry unless you are sure your fuel tank is clean.

As the PO ( or Lotus :?: )had fitted the wrong fuel gauge unit sender my dash gauge would read no lower than 1/2 full regardless of the actual content. After running out and drawing up the rusty contents of the tank, a morning was spent cleaning the contents of the fuel system after being recovered home by the RAC :shock:

Not only was the fuel tank replaced but also the exhaust as the backfiring all but blew the baffles out of it :!:

As a tender 22 year old with only a few days of Elan ownership I was certainly learning what Lotus's were all about. 23 years later I still am (its not all bad) :!:
Karl 8)

1970 S4 FHC SE
fasterbyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Tue May 08, 2007 9:08 am

The only time I ever managed to get a full tank was with my last Plus 2 after I had filled it on a forecourt which had a slope across (so the filler was the highest point in effect).

Don't think I had any leaks either (at least none more than usual!)
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 264889socal » Tue May 08, 2007 4:37 pm

Have also had a bit of a problem with my gauge as well. When getting the car back together, the fuel gauge would only read max full. Then found about the voltage stabilizer. Installed it and then the gauge would not register at all. Out with the sending unit and found it to be faulty. used a local gauge repair shop and when I reinstalled the gauge, is seemed to read in reverse. Turned the sending unit over and got closer to the mark and when the fuel level goes down so does the gauge. Still when the tank is completely full, it only registers to the 3/4 mark. I did notice on the back of the gauge, what appeared to be two adjustment slots where a small screwdriver could be inserted on either side of the gauge. Haven't taken the gauge out again to see if they actually adjust the gauge. Easier to take a wooden dowel, pump the tank down untill no more gas could be extracted and then mark the dowel. Add a gallon and repeat until full. Now carry the dowel in the back and when it gets shakey, use the dowel to verify the amount of fuel remaining.

Has anyone tried or know if the two slots have any effect?

Rob
264889socal
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue May 08, 2007 6:56 pm

I just use a 26 inch length of 1/2 inch x 5/8 inch redwood for a dip stick, I have not had problems with it reading incorectly. When it shows 2 inchs of fuel in the tank, its time to refill. This is on a S2 Elan, I know it won't work on a Plus 2 but someone started this thread in "things in common" so I thought I would add 2 cents here.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: