Fuel problem on S3

PostPost by: rogerem » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:38 pm

i ahve an S3 and I have a very strabge problem. when the car is hot it stops running (like caughing). it is like there was no fuel supply. When it gets colder then it starts running normally again.
it looks like vapor lock on teh fuel system.
is that true or it is somthing else? also how can I get fixed?

Any help would be highly appreciated

Roger
rogerem
New-tral

PostPost by: oldokie » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:50 pm

Once upon a time Ford used the same sort of fuel pump on the 'flatheads' which were really plagued with vapor lock. The oldtimers would carry a bag of grapefruit in the car in the summertime, when she died they cut a grapefruit in half, mashed it down over the glass bowl, presto, they were back under way! Or you can check your fuel pressure. Have you removed the bowl and cleaned it out recently?
oldokie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Allison » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:53 pm

We've had our share of fuel supply problems but I do not feel you've given enough info to usefully diagnose the cause. Does the car just not tickover? Does it "die" on the road? How do you know its fuel and not points (I guess that points/condensor are 75% of most engine problems)?

We've never had a fuel pump problem but I would look at the tank - has a foreign body or a piece of gasket sealant got inside and blocked the fuel pipe? If the fuel line is hard plastic its probably ok but if its braided rubber it could be delaminating and blocking the flow. Are the carbs full of fuel when the problem occurs?

This may not help but I'm afraid its a question of following the flow of fuel down the line logically to find the problem!

Peter
Allison
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:06 pm

... I had a similar problem on "OEW" ... but always manage to be back ...
After asking my meccanic , I decide to change for an electric fuel pump ...
Order all the necessary parts ... and start the installation ... remove the floor in the boot and discover "the" problem : between the tank and pump is a nylon pipe fixed to the tank with a 5cm rubber hose and wire . The original arrangment . Only 40 years old . When I just touch these wire collar , they fall apart !
The pump was breathing air ! Two modern collar instantaneously cured the problem . Check that !?!
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: