fuel filler neck LH or RH?

PostPost by: rdssdi » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:59 pm

I have a U.S. (Federal) LHD Elan +2. The fuel filler is on the right side of the car. I assume the cap opens to the front of the car. That is, the hinge is at the front.

I recently purchased a NOS filler neck with a new Ceandess flip cap on it. The filler neck is for an Elite (maybe?). The filler tube is at a 45 deg. angle and a small 1/4" breather tube is soldered to the filler nect. The nek is nicely finished in zink and the cap is chrome.

When the 45 Deg. angle is poaitioned properly the cap opens with the hinge rearmost. Is this a "right handed" filler necck?

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Stuart+2 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:26 am

Hi Bob

Do you mean a 'left hand filler neck'? Where the filler is on the LHS it also hinges to the front. I assume that it was a safety feature from Ye Olde days of Le Mans.
Stuart - Sydney
1968 +2 50/1035
Stuart+2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Stuart+2 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:30 am

Yay!

Made it out of neutral into First Gear!
Stuart - Sydney
1968 +2 50/1035
Stuart+2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Rob_LaMoreaux » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:32 pm

rdssdi wrote:I have a U.S. (Federal) LHD Elan +2. The fuel filler is on the right side of the car. I assume the cap opens to the front of the car. That is, the hinge is at the front.

I recently purchased a NOS filler neck with a new Ceandess flip cap on it. The filler neck is for an Elite (maybe?). The filler tube is at a 45 deg. angle and a small 1/4" breather tube is soldered to the filler nect. The nek is nicely finished in zink and the cap is chrome.

When the 45 Deg. angle is poaitioned properly the cap opens with the hinge rearmost. Is this a "right handed" filler necck?

Bob

Hi Bob,

You might be able to screw the filler cap onto the neck another 1/2 turn and have it correct to the Elan. On my Elan the cap assembly screws onto the neck, and it is much less angled than my spare. I seem to recall the the spare one I got doesn't unscrew which is why I haven't swapped the parts to fix my little goof. ( I relieved the wrong place for the locking cap).

No Elan's were made with the filler neck on the left, and the angle on the filler for my Elan is much less than one I got from another car.
Rob_LaMoreaux
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:54 pm

The filler neck is relieved for the locking cap but has a non locking cap installed. I have found that this filler neck is used in the '70's Elite.

I will rotate the mounting boss 180 degrees (soldered on) and use the new locking cap I have. An original Ceandess.

Once repositioned it should work well on my +2. The neck is shorter and angle once it enters the trunk (boot) area. The small vent attachment on the neck will add an extra vent for the +2 tank.

bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: