Fail Unsafe Right Hand Headlight Pod

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:18 pm

As the title says, I have a duff pod on the right hand side of my 1965 Elan S2. Unfortunately, that is the one that opens the micro switch so I cannot just isolate it and have one headlight...I really need a replacement. None of the usual suspects (RD Ent. Dave Bean or JAE in the USA have any, nor do they have a repair kit or suggestion.

HELP!! Any solution gratefully accepted so I can drive after the sun goes down and the Prince of Darkness is about.
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:08 pm

If the diaphragm is OK then the pod can fibre-glassed over and will still work, this one did.
Attachments
20240624_154934.jpg and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:39 pm

Ross,

If the wiring around the lighting is exposed it might be trivial to put a jumper across the two microswitches so that they are wired in parallel. Then, if either one fails or a pod fails to rise, then the other will do the honours.

It'll depend on what access you have to the bullet connectors by the relays, and if they are two-way or three-way. From the S4 wiring diagram, connect BP to BR.

I've always thought that they should have been wired in parallel to start with. I paralleled mine when I was fixing the wiring many years ago.

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:02 pm

Finally found an S2 wiring diagram. It looks like a link from the UB to YU wires (that connect to the microswitches) would do the trick.
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:24 pm

Thank you to all of you with suggestions for my tale of woe.

As so often happens in this wonderful community I have been offered a LH pod for the shipping cost by the magnificent Gary Boudreaux which I am eager to accept IF it will work merely by plugging the extra port. It seems that it should work to me but I only know enough to be dangerous!

Can anyone who is familiar with these early cars reassure me before I ask Gary to pack and ship something that won't work?
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GLB » Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:20 pm

Ross, I have been looking at my car and I think the angle of the bottom bracket is wrong. I am sure it could be modified with a little welding. If you can't find one I would also undertake to modify it for you. Gary
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:13 am

Ross, If you pass on Gary’s let me know , I may have a right hand side one that I would be happy to send your way .
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:00 am

Hi George,

I hope yo will see this as I tried to send a PM but I was unable to send it after I composed it. it said this:
I have received the LH pod from Gary and it will require some bracket fabrication because the pods are handed to fit the angle of the inner fender so to speak. If you have an actual right hand one I would happily pay you for it and send this one back to Gary. You can call me at 3O3 829-6O4I if you want to discuss.

Ross
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: