S4 Se Knock Off Rim Needed, Oil Leak

PostPost by: snowgear » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:26 pm

I am in search of a spare knock off rim for a 1970 Elan S4SE. My car does not have a spare. Mounted or unmounted OK. I am in the USA. Let me know if anyone has one available for sale. Or where can I buy one?
My twin cam has a large oil leak just above the fuel pump. My Book shows this as the Oil tube that drains oil from the head to the block. It is behind the carbs by piston #3,,,The book says the most common ailment is a worn, or mis shaped rubber seal on the top of the tube,... Any advise on how to repair this?? Is there any way to repair the leak without pulling the head off? And where can I buy the New seal. ? If I have a pro shop that specializes in Lotus twin cams do the work, how much should I expect to pay?? I would of course have to put in a new head gasket, valve cover gaskets, D plugs. Or should I live with the leak?? Thanks in advance for any help.
snowgear
New-tral

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:24 pm

I can't see how you could replace the drin tube with out lifting the head.

Pretty easy to do. New head, front cover and cam cover gaskets required. Should only take a day at most.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:14 pm

Snowgear,
Yes, you can replace the drain tube without removing the head, I've done it a couple of times. Take off the carbs and the petrol pump, cut/break the old rubber (it will be hard and brittle) Aquire a new drain tube (it should be soft ) clean the area, add a little sealer and it can be bent into place. Make sure it seats in the block and head by turning it, some people heat the tube in hot water to make it flex better but I've never had to.
Good Luck! ;)
Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:55 pm

Well you learn something new every day :huh:
A really useful tip thanks.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: poiuyt » Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:33 am

You may be able to seal the leak without replacing the tube - it's worth a try.

Get a tube of the grey RTV silicone they sell at Pep Boys (or other auto parts place). This stuff says it's specifically for European cars and is oil resistant.

Clean the entire area around the leak with a degreaser (Gunk, Simple Green, etc), clean off the residue and dry the area.

Use your finger to apply the RTV around the top and bottom of the drain tube - make sure you have a continuous coat all around the tube. Wait at least 24 hours and the leak should be sealed.

I've used this around the front cover in the same manner and it works. Theoil in these areas is not under pressure - it's just seeping out.

Good Luck

Steve B.
1969 Elan S4
Steve B.<br>1969 Elan S4
poiuyt
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: