S4 twin silencer box photos

PostPost by: bloodknock » Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:43 pm

Does anyone have clear photos of the original S4 twin silencer boxes from the side please?
Regards
Bob
I've got a deadline, at 73, I want to finish it before I die!
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Aug 28, 2024 4:43 pm

Yes Bob, what do you need to see specifically? I have the whole S4 exhaust system off the car - didn't you have a recent threaqd asking about orientation of the various parts?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:00 pm

Yes that was me, I should explain that I have owned my sprint since 1973, I’ve be restoring it over many years. It was one of the early sprints fitted with a S4 exhaust ( lotus using up existing stock) I wanted it restored to “as was”.
I had the original silencer but the outlet pipes were really scruffy, so I cut them off and fitted stainless replacements, but, I forgot to record the original dimensions. I now want to cut the new pipes to the correct profile, I know the outlet end is chamfered at 45 degrees, but don’t know the correct length hence my request for photos of an unmolested original so that I can get correct proportions.
I also need to see the correct mounting arrangement for the inboard end of the boxes.
I would be grateful for anything you can provide. I have attached photos of my box as it is now so that you can see the issues.
IMG_4369.jpeg and
Attachments
IMG_4367.jpeg and
IMG_4367.jpeg and
IMG_4370.jpeg and
IMG_4371.jpeg and
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:18 pm

Sorry about duplications the attachment section was fighting me!
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Aug 29, 2024 6:07 pm

Well this is embarrassing...! I had a good look at my tail pipes and they appear to be stainless. I doubt fitted at the factory (Colin would have gone for cheap steel pipes, surely?)

Anyway.. some pictures.

IMG_4268.jpg and
Shows the angle of the tail pipe and its champher

IMG_4270.jpg and
Shows the twin inlets from the side

IMG_4269.jpg and
Same from above

IMG_4273.jpg and
Tailpipe length = 10"

IMG_4274.jpg and
Work out gap between pipes and diameter from this

IMG_4275.jpg and
Postition of bracket attachment point
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Aug 29, 2024 6:09 pm

Some more measurements..

IMG_4281.jpg and

IMG_4280.jpg and

IMG_4279.jpg and

IMG_4278.jpg and

IMG_4277.jpg and
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Aug 29, 2024 6:11 pm

I think it looks very similar to yours, except for the upward sweep of the outlet pipes and angled tips. As to your other query ("How is it connected at the other end?"), I would have thought that a bit of trial and error should get you there. Just a matter of fitting the centre pipe and rotating it until it looks good - otherwise, turn it around and try again?

Oh by the way... I cleaned up some of the muck and discovered that the triangular join box has been scraped on the ground many times. So I think it might not be a perfect fit, though it looked good when I first saw the car.

Zoom in on this.

IMG_0578.jpg and
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sadbrewer » Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:03 am

[quote="JonB"]Well this is embarrassing...! I had a good look at my tail pipes and they appear to be stainless. I doubt fitted at the factory (Colin would have gone for cheap steel pipes, surely?)

Just off the top I can't think of any vehicle that came with S/S exhausts in the old days.
Sadbrewer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:52 pm

The exhaust on your car looks to be located just as mine was originally, that’s the positioning I’d like to achieve.
But, I notice that the rearmost hanging point is further back on your set up than mine, which would mean that your system would sit further forwards in the car. At 5 cm from box See below. Also how was yours hung at the front location?
IMG_4371.jpeg and
IMG_4390.jpeg and

I’m getting the feeling that I’ll have to mount the system at the rear point and fettle the pipes to the appropriate length.
But, from the factory, how was the forward end of the box supported?
Regards
Bob
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Sun Sep 01, 2024 5:47 pm

Thanks for all your effort and help JonB it is much appreciated
Bob
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: