Plus 2 - unlevel engine

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Wed Aug 14, 2024 7:09 pm

I just installed the engine in my Plus 2 which has a Spyder chassis. I am using Spyder provided motor mounts which look similar but are marked RH and LH. When installed correctly the engine is noticeably tilted to one side, with the carb side being higher. As I understand it, there is no need to raise the carbs on the PLus 2 as in the small Elan.
My question: Is the engine in a Plus 2 supposed to be level side to side?

Thanks
Attachments
hzeck1fk.png
hzeck1fk.png (159.98 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:10 am

I don't have a Spyder chassis so cannot comment directly, but have you compared the engine mounts you have with original Elan +2 items to check the difference if any in the position of the mounting holes.

Also have you measured the difference in height between left and right cam covers which can easily be achieved with a spirit level. Does the engine touch the bonnet when closed, this can be checked by using a ball of childrens plastercine or modelling clay. Place the clay on top of the cam covers if that is the highest part, dust the side closest to the bonnet to prevent it sticking to the bonnet, close and lock the bonnet and when reopened the depth of the clay should tell you how much clearance there is between the bonnet and the engine, don't forget to allow a margin for engine shake when first starting the car.

I also wonder whether the Spyder mounts you have are correct as in, did Spyder sell two types of mounts for either an Elan or Elan+2 and you have the incorrect type installed. I recall they updated the mounts at one point.
https://www.spydercars.co.uk/
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:21 am

May be not much help but, on the Elan their chassis arrangement use standard engine mounts both sides and the tilt high on carb side of the engine is gained by Spyders own unequal length supports. Don’t know about +2.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:58 am

Tony/Craven
Thanks for your responses.

I have a level across the cam cover in the picture and the difference is about 3/16". My question is: Is the engine in a Plus 2 supposed to be level across? I am assuming that it is.

I just installed the engine and am not able to check the clearance, but I believe it is OK. My Spyder mounts looked to be the same length, only the forward/backward tilt being different.
The rubber Lotus mounts are the same each side and were supplied by Spyder.

I will double check the mounts and then contact Spyder although I understand they are not very responsive.

Thanks
Chris
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Fri Aug 16, 2024 6:47 pm

Hi there

Engine on the Plus 2 should be level. With the standard chassis the Plus 2 has identical engine each side.

The engine on the 2 seater tilted for clearance and again with the standard chassis has different engine mounts each side.

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:13 pm

The engine mounts are different on Elans depending on the carburettors fitted, to save repeating all the info, look here on this site which explains the various fittings and for Spyder chassis. Look under the engine heading

posting.php?mode=reply&f=39&t=54677

Engine mount installation direction/orientation
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Peter +2 » Sat Aug 17, 2024 8:01 am

Here's a copy of page 5 of the Spyder fitting instruction.

It mentions the flexible Engine mounts are the same standard mounts on both sides and are bolted to the Chassis and not to the Engine.

Worth rechecking your installation as people have incorrectly bolted the flexible mounts to the Engine as one would do if using a Lotus Chassis.

I hope this helps.

Spyder chassis Instructions page 5.pdf
(113.29 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
1968 +2 BRM
Peter +2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Sat Aug 17, 2024 9:10 am

Peter
That is a useful document as I wonder how many people realise how the monts on a Spyder chassis should be fitted. Also that the standard mounts rather than the slightly offset mounts (for webber and dellorto's) are the correct ones to use.

Chris, hope this is the solution to your current issue
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: