Tubular Exhaust Manifold how to install

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:23 pm

My engine and gearbox are in the chassis, the body is off the chassis. I have done this before, but can’t remember how, old man with a bad memory.

I am fairly sure the manifold went in from the top, but now the manifold is returned from ceramic coating I cannot seem to get the damned thing back in.

I have removed the alternator, both engine mounts and pushed the engine to the carburettor side of the chassis as far as it will go. I am using bolts not studs to join manifold to head, the engine is supported with a chain block, and could be moved up or down a little.

Is there a correct or preferred method to do this job?

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:38 pm

Hi Richard,
It's some time since I've had the engine out but IIRC it is fitted from the bottom. Put the 1 & 4 cyls part into a rough position held up with rope etc. Then put the 2 & 3 cyls part into rough position. Then fit the engine mounts and fix to chassis. Finally fit exhaust to head.
It's not an easy job and fingers with more joints in would be better.
Cheers
John.
elanman999
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:53 pm

John,

Thanks for advice, I managed to get the manifold back in today, and must make a note of how I did this as Sod’s Law says I will need to do it again for some reason I cannot yet understand.

When I started this work years back, a more experienced elan owner advised me that the tie bar beneath the sump from one side of the chassis to the other should be bolted in place not welded, I took his advice. This morning I removed the tie bar and with the engine as high and as far to the carburettor side of the chassis as possible I just have enough room to get the manifold in from the top, I thought the anti roll bar might need to be removed, but thankfully not. The ceramic coating is very abrasive, I have wrapped it with plastic tape to avoid damage to other items and my hands.

Richard
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: