Dry sump to wet sump conversion - question!!

PostPost by: Simmie C » Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:11 pm

Hello All,
I have bought a striped down twin cam. The guy I bought it from was preparing it to race, so it's been ported/skimmed/race cams etc...
It all looks good (apart from a crack in the timing chain case). With it came a spare wet sump.
I wish to use the car as more of a touring car than a race car. However, the engine was too good to miss up.
I want to fit the wet sump but the rear seems to be too large (see pictures. I know there are different types of rear oil seal housings depending (I believe) on if it's 4 or 6 bolt Crankshaft. Could anyone look at the attached photos and tell me what I will need to allow the sump to be fitted? Or even of it is the correct sump for the block/engine!!
Thanks
Simon
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-06-08 195503.png and
Wet sump
Screenshot 2024-06-08 195422.png and
Dry sump
Simmie C
New-tral

PostPost by: ncm » Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:48 pm

Hi Simon, As you suspect that is the wrong sump for your crankshaft. You require a '4-bolt' sump such as this item on ebay :- 196265865105.

Brian.
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Simmie C » Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:03 pm

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply, I thought that would be the case!!!
It leads me onto another question.
If the 6 bolt crankshaft is better and I have a later block and I need to buy another sump anyway.... is it best to replace all 3 (crankshaft+oil seal housing+sump)?
I've heard the cork seals are a pain and the 6 bolt a better crank?
I want to keep the car for quite awhile (retirement plans) so spending a bit now may save in the future.
Thanks
Simon
Simmie C
New-tral

PostPost by: ncm » Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:21 pm

If you replace the crank with a 6-bolt item then you would only need to buy the oil seal carrier as the wet sump that you have is for a 6-bolt crank.

Brian.
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Simmie C » Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:31 pm

Hi Brian,

OK, so the sump I have is for a 6 bolt crank.
Great, I'll look into prices of cranks and oil seal housings (I know SJS do one for about £18.00) and compare.
Do you think there is a market for a secondhand dry sump and pump? As they will become surplus to requirement.

Simon
Simmie C
New-tral

PostPost by: Stagmatt » Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:58 pm

Hi Simon,
just happened to see your post. I could offer a solution: I have found a 4-bolt sump in good condition but would need a 6-bolt type. Reason: on the car I acquired short time ago a dry sump system was fitted. That is not what I want. Any sumps in decent condition are hard to find so I accepted this one and the need to modify it to suit my later engine.
Let me know what you think or write a pm.

Cheers, Matthias
Stagmatt
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:11 pm

HI Matthais

Was great to drive your new Plus 2 the other day. :) Needs a little work to get the handling right and the paintwork needs redoing but the engine appears sound and pulls well across the rev range. A very nice buy overall :) . Your 5 speed conversion is a very elegant modification of a Ford 5 speed box and certainly needed with a 3.55 or lower diff for the German autobahns where 140 kmh is the minimum in the fast lane and my little Kia Picanto is working hard at that those speeds. Seriously looking for a Lotus to keep in Germany ;)

If getting rid of the current dry sump you need to think about sump bafliing and that I can help wth. Modifiying a 4 bolt sump to a 6 bolt sump is not beyond your level of capability from what I have seen. Certainly 4 bolt sumps are easier to come by in Europe and much cheaper. I think Col Croucher at Elantrikbits does a write up of the conversion. I have a conversion sump that he has done for me based on what I helped him with and it is perfect compared to the original 6 bolt sump but freight cost to Europe is expensive, but I know he has done some for people there.

cheers
Rohan
(Now back in Australia for a couple of months after a very couple of wet months in Germany)
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Simmie C » Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:13 pm

Hi Matthais,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.
I now have a solution to my problem and it allows me to use the 4 bolt crank and flywheel etc.. With the 6 bolt sump.
Earlier today I met a very nice man in Wales, who has machined a 6 bolt oil housing and attached a lip to allow a 'normal' oil seal to run on the 4 bolt crankshaft.
He has done one before and had this one as a spare BUT promised he won't do any more as the time on the lathe isn't worth it!!!
Thanks for the offer though.

Cheers
Simon
Simmie C
New-tral

PostPost by: Stagmatt » Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:40 pm

Hi Simon,
no problem, I am in no rush anyway. I will convert my sump as planned, machine a receptacle to fit the bigger seal.
I remember from my TR4 days that there was a conversion on the market which would allow a split lip seal to be used on the crank (similar design as 4 bolt and many other older engines). Maybe that is the solution the Welsh engineer decided to make up.
Have fun anyway -

Matthias
Stagmatt
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Simmie C » Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:47 pm

Hi Matthias,

If it helps I could always send a photo or 2.
Just let me know..

Simon
Simmie C
New-tral

PostPost by: Stagmatt » Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:13 pm

Thank you! I will replicate the 6 bolt design, so no need.

Cheers, Matthias
Stagmatt
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: