Engine tuner

PostPost by: nickspeed » Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:52 am

Hi All. Have a restored S4 SE to completely original spec, and therefore on Strombergs. Want to keep the originality, including carbs, but gain a little more power, and make it a bit more fizzy/interesting at the top end. Cams, verniers and may be some head work. Also have an oil leak at the front of the engine, with I think may be to do with the gasket for the water pump housing?? I don’t have the knowledge to do this, and am looking for somebody good to do the work, and with the engine still in the car. I’m based in Gloucestershire. Somebody mentioned John Smirthwaite of JS Motorsports. Does anybody know of their work, or indeed know of anybody else they would recommend. With many thanks, Nick
nickspeed
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:26 am

Hi,
I have used JS Motorsport, a very ameanable chap, work appears spot on, he also ported my head (see pic). Be prepared for a long wait and he's not the best at communication. I have also used Paul Exon too, found him too to be excellent.

Other people may think otherwise, "do your own research".

cheers
Mark
Attachments
Head 10-021-02-09-09-25-05.jpeg and
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:45 am

There are a lot of tuners out there, but you would be wise to go visit a couple once you have narrowed the field. That way you can see the way they work and their standards of preparation. It also depends on your budget as some tuners can be very expensive.

Whilst there are many firms out there, Both John Smirthwaite and John Wilcox basically built their businesses on the twin cam engines as they were around when the units were still being produced. Due to the number of people doing this sort of work my advice is,
1. Do your due diligence beforehand
2. Try and find someone within easy commuting distance so you can occasionally drop in to check progress
3. If the engine is to be dyno'ed then try and be there when it takes place
4. Be very specific with what you want and get a written quote detailing the work
5. Agree a time frame for the work to be completed

By the way, if you speak with John Wilcox don't be put off as you will most likely end up speaking with Rita his wife, and you may be surprised at her technical knowledge.
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:15 am

John Smirthwaite is renowned as one of the best TC engine builders in the Uk, lots of the race Lotus Cortina's you see at Goodwood have engines built at JS.
I don't have any personal experience with him, but many recommendations.
I do have experience of JW Engines of Tamworth though (James Wiles), who used to work for John Smirthwaite,, and he built the engine in my S3 S/E, which turned out to be a cracker.
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nickspeed » Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:34 pm

Many thanks all. Appreciated. Have been in contact with JS Motorsport and will call up to see them. Will also give JW Engines a call. John Wilcox is alledgedly winding back, and does not work on engines in cars. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks again, Nick
nickspeed
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:28 am

Nick
John Smirthwaite is best contacted by text, his daughter normally takes the phone calls but not on a Monday from memory. John spends a lot of time in the workshop and is not always able to take a call, hence texts.
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nickspeed » Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:39 pm

Thanks Tony. I’ll do that!
nickspeed
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: