pistons and valves contact

PostPost by: checkrail » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:16 pm

Hi all, just replaced the head after renewing the gasket to hopefully cure oil leak on the timeing case. I stood the head on end to check the valves which was a stupid thing to do because the tappets came tumbling out.
The cams I had already removed. It taken ages to sort all the shims again which I have done with the cams back in the head, and done one cam at a time with the timeing chain disconnected.
The engine is on TDC and the cams on no. 4 wth the lobes pointing inwards
If I turn the cams using the sprocket bolts with the chain disconnected they will jam as one of the lobes presses down on the tappet, I have tried altering the shims but no difference
If the pistons and valves are contacting I do not understand how this has happened, I have not forced anything.
It looks like the head has got to come off again, I dread to think what I'll find,

Hope that I'll hear from some one where I've gone wrong thank you John
checkrail
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Europa88 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:31 pm

If you are turning the cams and they are not linked by the chain, they may well be out of timing and you could have valve contact.
Europa88
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:40 pm

As Europa88 mentions, the valves and the pistons occupy the same space, just not at the same time.

Before the cams or crank is moved, the cams need to be connected to the timing chain and timed correctly, then as the piston move up the bore, the valves will move out of the way.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (still being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:15 pm

checkrail wrote:The engine is on TDC and the cams on no. 4 wth the lobes pointing inwards
If I turn the cams using the sprocket bolts with the chain disconnected they will jam as one of the lobes presses down on the tappet,

if the timing chain is disconnected the engine is not on TDC, it is just partly disassembled.

I would at least consult the shop manual to get a feel for what to do on an engine I'm not familiar with before embarking a serious maintenance operation : now you should as well control that a valve has not been bent depending on the force of the valve/piston contact you have applied... no time saved here.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Europa88 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:35 pm

As nmauduit says...You may be lucky and no damage done if you haven't forced the cams to turn. But you are right the head will have to come off to check for damage!
Last edited by Europa88 on Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Europa88
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:37 pm

Hi

If all you want to do is check the rotation of the cams then use a screwdriver down a plughole and a socket on the camshaft to set the pistons at midway. Then you can rotate the cams safely as much as you like.

If you have been gentle and stopped when you felt contact you should be fine.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Europa88 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:42 pm

I'm just wondering that if its a large valve engine and the cams are rotated independently, that the valves could touch when both fully open?
Europa88
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: promotor » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:31 pm

Europa88 wrote:I'm just wondering that if its a large valve engine and the cams are rotated independently, that the valves could touch when both fully open?

This is exactly what happens, even with standard size valves.
promotor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: checkrail » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:32 pm

thanks chaps for all the replies
I forgot to mention that I connected everything up as it should be and all I could get with a long reach spanner on the crank bolt was about half a turn before it locked,
It is a big valve engine

John
checkrail
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Europa88 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:45 pm

checkrail wrote:thanks chaps for all the replies
I forgot to mention that I connected everything up as it should be and all I could get with a long reach spanner on the crank bolt was about half a turn before it locked,
It is a big valve engine

John

If it was timed correctly there shouldn’t be an issue. Did you account for all the shims that fell out?
Europa88
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:23 am

Sorry but i suggest you contact someone who knows Twinks to sort it out.
Good luck
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:23 am

A very simple method to determine where the pistons are whilst setting up the cam timing. All wooden dowels are the same length.

Leslie
Attachments
P1010008(4).JPG and
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: checkrail » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:32 pm

thanks Leslie for the photo, it's not the first time that I've removed the head. Last time I set it with the timeing marks level on the sprockets, the marks on the pulley/ timing case correct, the cam lobes on no.4 pointing inwards and a rod down the plug hole confirming TDC.
I've done the same this time, removed the cams and then the head. Of course I had the tappets fall out but can't understand why i've got this piston/valve problem
Senior moment but why should no.1 piston be moved from TDC?

Thanks for your patience John
checkrail
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Europa88 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:31 pm

Just be aware that TDC should be on the compression stroke.
Europa88
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Europa88 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:37 pm

Sounds to me that something has fallen into the timing chest and jammed! You don’t know for sure that it’s valve/ piston contact or valve/valve contact.If there is nothing jammed then at this stage I would definitely have the head off!
Europa88
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: