Engine Dead Spot

PostPost by: paw140 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:26 pm

After nearly 3 years, I’m finally able to drive my 1969 S4. The engine is freshly rebuilt. It runs mostly ok, but it does seem to have an issue at very light throttle from 2000-3000 RPM. If I try to lightly accelerate at this engine speed, the engine sputters and is very choppy. If I give it a little more throttle, everything clears up at it accelerates strongly. I’m thinking it’s a carb tubing issue, but mine is equipped with the federal Strombergs with needles that cannot be adjusted. Does anyone have any advice?

I pulled the spark plugs and this is what they look like after 120 miles. #4 is very clean, almost looks new. The others are a little dark, but I’m thinking they are ok. I’m puzzled by #4… I’ve seen it suggested that this could indicate a small coolant leak, but I’m not seeing any evidence of that.

Thanks!

Paul
paw140
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: paw140 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:29 pm

Picture of plugs:
Attachments
IMG_6072.jpeg and
paw140
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:10 am

Probably a carb issue but I'd try bpr6s plugs. As might self clean better and help improve running.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: joe7 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:51 pm

#3 looks like its cracked.
joe7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: paw140 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:19 pm

Yes, I broke #3 when I was removing it.

Does anyone know how I could convert my carbs to use adjustable needles?
paw140
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:11 pm

are you sure that #4 gives consistent spark ?
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:30 pm

I'd start with a thorough review of the carbs. The emission Stromberg have (had) a lot of bells and whistles related to emissions. Do you still have the cross-over piped? Are they functional? They are bypassed at higher throttle openings using a secondary throttle. Is that in place? Does it function well? How about the temperature compensator. Probably some or all of the little tubes are capped off. Is your vacuum advance hooked up? And so forth. :)
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Sadbrewer » Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:09 pm

paw140 wrote:Yes, I broke #3 when I was removing it.

Does anyone know how I could convert my carbs to use adjustable needles?

You don't need it Strombergs are reliable, you just need to get a competent mechanic to set them up..owners messing about with carbs is not a great idea for the smooth reliable running of any car.
Sadbrewer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: paw140 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:52 pm

I’ve removed the crossover pipes and the secondary throttle plates. I’ve wondered about the temperature compensators…
paw140
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:48 pm

These use oil dampers? I used to put thicker oil in mine when the throttle response deteriorated. John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: paw140 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:15 pm

I have found a hint to my problem. It is very hot today (32 C / 90 F) and I drove the Lotus and the hesitation is pretty much gone. I also noticed on previous drives that the problem got much less noticeable when I drove the car, let it sit for an hour, and then drove it again. I also noticed the problem was quite bad when I drove it on Friday and the temps outside were 50-60 F. I’m suspecting my temperature compensators are not adjusted properly, causing it to run too rich when cold. I’ll take a look at that in the coming weeks.
paw140
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: paw140 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:26 am

Update:

Since my old distributor was worn out anyway, I decided to buy a new Pertonix unit. It made the problem slightly better, but at least confirmed to me that it wasn’t an ignition problem. I also installed a hotter thermostat since the one that RD sold to me seemed a bit cold (I switched from 160F to 180F). Both of these things seemed to improve things a little but definitely didn’t fix the problem.

Then I tried something that made a huge difference - I took the top of the carbs apart and moved the needles about 0.020” higher, about as far as I could go, to richen the mixture. The tick over quality was so much better and I took it for a drive and I’d say that the dead spot is 90% gone. It runs a lot better.

Reading more on this forum, I understand that the federal non adjustable Strombergs were tuned very lean to meet US emissions regulations. I also found a reference to an old Lotus Tech Service bulletin about adjusting the depth of the main jets with a special tool because many times they are too lean from the factory. I see that I can buy adjustable jets, which I may install over the winter.
paw140
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: