Refitting engine after rebuild

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:48 pm

It’s come time to reinstall the engine after rebuild. The gearbox is still installed.
Is there any detailed procedure or description available of the do’s and don’t on this?
Brian Bucklands book describes it with gearbox attached. But I cant find a similar description for and engine only install.

Thanks in advance
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:53 pm

I put my engine back in a few weeks ago with the gearbox in place.

I was using an engine crane which worked well, but there were a few things I noted as standing out to remember:

1. Using a jack, get the gearbox bellhousing as high as possible so the gearbox is almost touching the transmission tunnel on the body.

2. Tilt the engine on its sling so its pointing upwards a couple of inches at the front. If you have a load leveller on your crane so much the better. You don't have to tilt the engine as much as if you have the gearbox already attached.

3. Take car to ensure that the engine block is parallel with the bellhousing flange before trying to mate the engine with the gearbox. Check both above and below the engine and make sure the ring gear is at an even depth in the bellhousing before trying to mate. I only looked from the top and thought I was parallel, but I wasn't! Adjust by varying the tilt of the engine or raising/lowering the gearbox slightly.

Best of luck,

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:32 pm

Got it in, thanks
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: