Twink Head Studs

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:26 pm

Hi All;

I'm faffing about, trying to get a head on my block, just to pressure test the block and it's a total PITA. I'm considering going to a set of ARP head studs so that installing the head is not so *effing* annoying. :? and reduce the chances of fouling up the head gasket. I am concerned about the possibility of the head and the studs welding themselves together over the long run, as aluminium and steel are wont to do.

Anyone have any experience with head studs?

If I stick with head bolts, does anyone think I need new ones? My guess is that my old set is just fine but I'm open to correction. I'm building up a 1760 engine with roughly 170 bhp. Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Jonny
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:17 pm

Hi Eric,

Clever idea! Should be easy enough to make up.

An thoughts on used head bolts?
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:24 pm

Hi Jonny
When fitting the head I put two pieces of screwed rod of the correct thread in diagonally opposite corners of the block. The head can then be lowered slowly and in line down to the gasket.
They are tapered at the top and have a screwdriver slot for removing them.
I cannot see what you find annoying unless you are not using some sort of guides.
Actually I made the guides from ordinary bolts minus the heads and some smaller diameter screwed rod to extend them sufficiently.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
I am getting mixed up with two similar posts.
Old head bolts would do fine but I did not have any.
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:43 am

Hmm , you have two topics on the same thing; I have posted on the other one. {basically the same as Eric's posting above}

It would be best to choose one topic and terminate the other with; Duplicate topic, please don't post here, please post on: < give a link to the active topic, viewtopic.php?f=33&t=51996 >
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: