Trigger sensor from flywheel

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:41 pm

I think this one is for John Clegg who made a flywheel to incorporate a trigger wheel for an EDIS… I cannot ffind the original info

I am looking to find out how deep you dimple drilled the flywheel, and what size drill you used?

I am still dithering on whether or not to use the 60-2 tooth flywheel that QED sell, or dimple drill a standard flywheel for a 36-1 trigger. It is make up mind time as I have all the other stuff ready for balancing.

Thanks!
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:26 pm

Obviously depending on if you are changing to a toothed drive belt or not a much simpler way is to use the 36 tooth front pulley that qed sell.
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:33 pm

Thanks Simon - I am indeed changing to a toothed belt drive... :wink:
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:37 pm

Fair enough. Belt and braces build for your car there :D
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:56 pm

Hal
Sorry , don't have the information you require , but a 360 degree timing disc helps , and a few photo..

mod flywheel 3.JPG and

efi flywheels.jpg and

efi flywheel.jpg and

2004_0101tvs0011.JPG and

John ;-)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:40 am

Thanks John - yes those are the photos I remember. I am sorry, I thought you made the dimples, but one of te photos shows that the depth is not all that great.

I have prvisionally made up a jig on which I can rotate the wheel under a drill press, but then last night after I posted this, I see, and only now notice that the cast 60 tooth wheel from QED is only £5 more expensive than a standard steel wheel! So maybe the decision has been made for me. :wink:
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:07 am

Hal
As you have said , ( timing disc gave me the 36 positions ) , centre-punched , pillar drill with offset axis , depth stop , doesn't need much ( 6mm ? ) flywheel is cast? and very easy to drill , extra row of holes to appease CABC ( add lightness ).

John ;-)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:28 am

Indeed John, not rocket science - it was just the depth that I was nervous about. But I do not think your dimples look more that 6mm, and it works, so must be OK :)

Fly in the ointment though regarding the ready made QED 60 tooth wheel - I just about to order it and see from the photo that it is in fact one of their ultra light wheels with teeth machined into the rim... I am very definitely building a touring engine and think all the weight possible in the flywheel is necessary (?) so maybe drill after all!

I need to ask some questions on what weight difference there is between standard and ultra light. I wonder if Rohan is reading this.. :P

By the way - am I correct that you started with Megajolt and moved to Emerald?
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:23 pm

Hal

2014_0109 efi flywheel.JPG and

efi pickup

2014_0318enginein0002.JPG and

lambda sensor mounts

efi exhaust y piece.jpg and

also...

brake discs castellated.jpg and

you can just see the cable to the ABS pickup..along with the UJ driveshaft

2014_07200015.JPG and

John ;-)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:26 pm

Hal,

I have just bought a flywheel from QED with 36-1 pattern to suite a Ford EDIS system with Megajolt. This is not something that QED offer as standard, but they were happy to help.

There is a rather convoluted story behind my less than rational decision making. I had intended to do as John Clegg, and bought a second hand Zetec flywheel to use as a pattern, having checked the Zetec flywheel I decided there was not enough thickness in my existing flywheel to safely drill the hole pattern. Some manufacturers attach a trigger wheel (reluctor ring) to the flywheel rather than machine a pattern in the flywheel. With this in mind I spoke to my local friendly machine shop who wanted £250 approximately.

QED want £206 for a flywheel and about £50 for a 36-1 pattern.

I am using a pre engaged starter with a 10 tooth pinion and a 135 tooth ring gear, which requires a different diameter for the ring gear to fit to. If you have the standard ring gear then QED should be able to do this for about £250 plus VAT.

Back to your original question, how deep to drill the holes, I am in hospital and cannot see when I can take a measurement for you, but hope to be able to do this before Christmas.

Hope this helps,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:31 pm

Thanks John! Interesting indeed, but especially the ABS. You have convinced me and already have some ideas. Your one of graduating teeth into the edge of the discs I like, but not sure abour the VR sensor on the front wheels..? Is there room?
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:43 pm

Thanks Richard! Most helpful. I think a call to Simon at QED on Monday is in order..!

I do not know how thin the standard flywheel is at the point where one would drill the trigger, but as it is outside of the clutch area (?) I would have thought no problem, but may be wrong.

The beauty of the QED flywheel is that there is a lip just in from the ring gear that is perfectly placed for the VR pick-up block that QED sell to be used. The downside is that the teeth are cut into lip as opposed to drilled. Let us see what Simon says…have a speedy recovery and we can compare notes later!
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:09 pm

HCA wrote:Thanks John! Interesting indeed, but especially the ABS. You have convinced me and already have some ideas. Your one of graduating teeth into the edge of the discs I like, but not sure abour the VR sensor on the front wheels..? Is there room?

Yes, had to make up mountings that fitted on the caliper bolts , but plenty of room.

John ;-)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:48 pm

Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:50 am

Hal,

I am out of hospital, still not very good, but have taken some measurements.

Ford’s method of making a trigger pattern on the flywheel is to drill 36 holes 15mm diameter. This leaves a web of metal between adjacent holes 3.3mm thick. The holes are 8mm deep to the shoulder, and 10mm deep at the point. The missing tooth is created by milling away the web between two holes, the depth of the hole where the missing tooth has been created is 9.3mm deep and has a flat bottom.

QED do things differently, they machine slots, instead of holes, in the rim that you mention. The size of the slot, and the size of the remaining metal (tooth) are the same at 10.6mm the depth of the slot is 2.5 mm. One tooth is machined away to the same depth of 2.5mm.

When talking to Simon at QED I was surprised that he was not aware of a 36-1 pattern, apparently the electronic ignition and injection systems they offer use a different pattern. I thought 36-1 was the most common, almost universal system.

Hope this helps, if my description does not make sense please ask,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: