Cabin Fumes / Oil Filler Cap

PostPost by: Gorpon73 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:51 pm

Yes, that was my concern. Why was it done in the first place?

To be clear, it did have a hose connected to it, but no catch-can. Just routed past the engine to the bottom of the car, which I believe was a little too short and piddling on the exhaust.
Gorpon73
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:29 pm

Gorpon73 wrote:Why was it done in the first place?

The crank case breather setup to the air box can be marginal if engine is not in very good condition or high revs are used a lot (e.g. racing). This would be probably the easiest way to add a bit more air flow without modify a larger more expensive part of the engine.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:17 pm

Hi All
A lot of these problems are due to crankcase compression either in the past or are still present. The engine needs good rings and bores. The history of the engine would explain a lot strange things, after all these engines are around 50 years old.
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Gorpon73 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:04 pm

I'm reasonably gentle with the engine. It's not been rebuilt from the records I have, but runs very well without smoking or leaking excessively, which leads me to believe it must have had work as some point.

I intend to leave the cap breather on, just for the sake of consistency and reroute the hose, then move on to the next project.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Gorpon73
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: