Lotus Elan

camshafts Specification

PostPost by: geni » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:38 am

pour ma culture des arbres à cames
Je voudrais connaître les différents arbres à cames (ceux de l'Elan d'origine en général) et la puissance délivrée avec eux.
Toute bonne info est la bienvenue et pour la comparaison aussi
geni
geni
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:37 am

Geni,
in English please
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: geni » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:03 am

:sorry but the translation is not automatic so I used GoogleTraduct and here it is

for my camshaft culture
I would like to know the different camshafts (the original Elan ones in general) and the power delivered with them.
Any good info is welcome and for comparison too
geni
geni
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: geni » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:08 am

Surprise voila j'écris le texte en anglais et cela apparait en Français !
et j'ai bien fait l'effort suite a la demande répété mais alors que choisir en la solution idéale ?
geni

Surprise, here I am writing the text in English and it appears in French!
I have made the effort to do so, but what is the best solution?
geni
geni
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:53 am

The starting point for camshaft selection is what do you want to use the engine and car for ?

3 original Lotus camshafts std, S/E and Sprint if using these you would use the Sprint cam in any new engine build. The Sprint gives great torque and 126 hp with a 6500 rpm rev limit with the right carb settings and exhaust

Beyond that really two different types of cams are useful in most cars. Most other cams are old technology and not worth using

1. High lift (0.41 to 0.44 inch lift) and less than around 285 degree seat to seat as high performance road cams for around 160 to 170hp in a 1600 twink with a 7500 to 8000 rpm rev limit. Also better torque and power of about 150hp with a 6500 rpm rev limit of the standard bottom end in a 1600 cc twink

2. Higher lift 0.45 to 0.46 inch and less than 300 degrees seat to seat for a racing cam for around 180 to 190 hp in a 1600cc twink with a 8300 rpm rev limit

What they actually make in terms of torque band and max power depends on the specific cam and many many other engine details

You can get higher lift again to 0.50 inch with durations of around 320 degrees but these only really work in a light open wheeler where you can select gear ratios to suit the track and even then I am not sure the loss of torque is actually worth it for maybe another 10 hp at 9000 rpm in a 1600 twink and the resultant short engine life at these revs.

The option are many and its really what to you want to do with the engine and car and how deep are your pockets to pay for it.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: