McCoy 450 Cams

PostPost by: Europa88 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:03 pm

I have a Europa TC with a 147BHP engine that needs to be pulled for replacement ring gear.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=48426
I'm also going to build an all steel bottom end with my existing block to take advantage of some higher revs.
Can anyone shed any light on whether it would be a relatively easy job to fit McCoy 450's (Or UK supplier equivalent) seeing as I already have had the spring seats machined to take the L14's. I understand that its possible to fit L14's now without doing this with some of QED's springs etc, but as its been done will this help the transition to a higher lift cam like the McCoy 450?
Europa88
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:45 pm

Fitting McCoy 450 cams is not difficult but generally requires new longer valve stems ,new suitable springs and new thin steel buckets and a lot of detailed measurement and calculation to ensure you buy the right components that will work together. Deepened valve pockets can help in giving more flexibility in component selection but are not critical. Most of this work is needed in any case to make the valve train suitable for the higher revs.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Europa88 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:45 pm

Many thanks Rohan, that is very helpful.
Europa88
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:17 pm

rgh0 wrote:Fitting McCoy 450 cams is not difficult but generally requires new longer valve stems ,new suitable springs and new thin steel buckets and a lot of detailed measurement and calculation to ensure you buy the right components that will work together. Deepened valve pockets can help in giving more flexibility in component selection but are not critical. Most of this work is needed in any case to make the valve train suitable for the higher revs.

cheers
Rohan

Rohan, do McCoy converted heads use the same valve shims as other twin cams? My local tech has a small shim collection. Will these work if the valves need adjustment?

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:43 pm

It depends on what retainers and springs were used when the head was built. Some of the high lift springs use valve stem caps rather than the normal shims it all depends on the supplier.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:11 pm

Thanks for the heads up Rohan.

Thinking the best thing for me to do is to schedule a valve & chain inspection / adjustment with John. 100% certain I will be close to Bellingham next May for a firmly scheduled event. John is located under an hour from the Canadian border, so hopefully easy to line something up.

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: