Suspension

PostPost by: nickspeed » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:11 am

Hello. Pulled off our driveway the other day, with two of us in the car, and thought I had a completely flat rear tyre. The car body moving up and down at the rear. Got out to take a look. All tyres normal. Realised we could not go anywhere like this, so reversed slowly up the lane. Also to see if there was anything under the car. Nothing there. Then, when I moved forward, the problem had gone. All completely normal. Drove about 70 miles that day, and a further 160 over the weekend, all without a problem. Getting off our drive there are some quite large camber changes, and I wondered if there is something dodgy with the drive shafts or doughnuts. Checked both inner and outer, and all looks well. No movement anywhere or signs of wear, and all bolts tight. Any thoughts? Many thanks, Nick
nickspeed
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:34 am

Nick

Can you elaborate on the ' The car body moving up and down at the rear!' sentence please.

Symptoms sound worrying to me

Ian
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nickspeed » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:44 am

Just as though a rear tyre was completely flat and there was some completely movement as the carcass was moving around on the rim as we drove away
nickspeed
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:46 am

Most of the rear dampers I've had in my S4 have needed a stroke or two to start damping if the car's been standing for a while. Wondering if you might have had an undamped few seconds on the camber change.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nickspeed » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:59 am

Hi Stuart. Yes, a good thought, could be. Although road surface is pretty smooth.

Previous reply should have read "Just as though a rear tyre was completely flat and there was some vertical movement as though the collapsed carcass was moving around on the rim as we drove away".

It was almost as though we ran over an animal in the road, but there were no signs on the road or underneath the car. Was very relieved to see our cat (and avoid a trip to the divorce court) when we got home.

Car drives perfectly now. Went to Bicester Scramble via the Harry's Garage test route, which is very undulating and not smooth, and the car was great.

The only other thought, and am not sure this would be possible, was if the handbrake was binding on one side, and creating the effect??

nickspeed
First Gear
First Gear

nickspeed
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:00 pm

Ahem, a strange post for the Engine partition of the forum ....
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: