water pump weep hole

PostPost by: Sheldo » Thu May 06, 2021 12:50 am

It's been a while since I posted anything. I pulled the engine last summer because of a pretty significant oil leak. Finally got things back together and installed in my plus 2. Other than than the typical colorful words and skinned knuckles, things went well. The engine started and tried to run until I shut it down because of a gas leak out of one of the Stromberg carbs (stuck float??). Came back the next day to a small puddle of coolant coming out of the water pump weep hole. I've seen a few post about this issue -- sounds not too uncommon. I turned the fan with a drill for a couple minutes, but still have a slow drip - a drop every 20 to 30 seconds. So, now what? A few post have talked about running the engine for a couple of heat cycles, and the seals would finally seat and the problem solved. However if I got a seal in backwards, it would never seat and I would end up pulling the pump and all the stuff that goes along with that. The engine has run for literally 5 seconds so far---- suggestions greatly appreciated.
Sheldo
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Billmack » Thu May 06, 2021 2:58 pm

If the wp was fresh I'd say a weep might stop after a bit. If old it's unlikely. Maybe time for a cartridge type pump. Sorry for pessimism. I'd certainly run it a while the way it is in hopes that something good will happen. Don't overheat it though.
Billmack
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Sheldo » Mon May 10, 2021 8:11 pm

Thanks for the response. It is slow drip, so I should be able to keep a close eye on it. I think I'm going to put a few miles on it and see what happens.
Sheldo
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue May 11, 2021 8:26 am

Be carefull, if there is a drip then coolant is getting to the bearing and bearings don't like that.
I suggest not to drive and remove Engine to change Water Pump.
I've had Water Pumps let go on two occasions and the result is not nice. On one of them a 1968 +2 with metal Fan on Pump Flange and it made a nasty mess of the Radiator :oops:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue May 11, 2021 12:00 pm

Have you put your additives into the coolant?

You might have been tempted to just use plain water for the initial run up, but this is bad for a waterpump seal (As I have found to my cost). Plain water isn't slippery enough and the surface of the spinning seal on the waterpump might roughen up or tear leading to your symptoms.

The weep hole is there to prevent the coolant level outside the seal from getting high enough to reach the front pulley bearing, so make sure that the hole is clear of any gunk/sealant/debris at all times.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sheldo » Thu May 13, 2021 1:18 am

Just a follow up.
So far so good. I got the engine to start up and run for more than 2 seconds. After the 3rd or 4th time of running for a couple minutes at a time, the water pump seal looks like it seated good, and nothing more coming from the weep hole. Definitely something I'll keep an eye on for a while, but for now, it looks good.
thanks for everyone's input.
Sheldo
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Thu May 13, 2021 1:41 am

I run a water pump conditioner (lube)
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: