exhaust studs

PostPost by: street » Mon May 03, 2021 8:28 am

Hi,

in NZ parts are hard to find, I have found studs but 50mm long, my ones are 41mm. Anyone think this is wrong, will end bad........

thanks
street
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon May 03, 2021 9:19 am

You will find you may not be able to fit the exhaust manifold if the studs are to long especially with the tubular headers supplied today. I use socket headed UNC cap screws rather than the original studs for that reason. Just make sure the threads in the head are clean and use plenty of nickel antisieze on them so they come out cleanly when needed.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Billmack » Tue May 04, 2021 1:11 pm

Agreeing with Rohan. The studs make it difficult to assemble because the header flange will not get far enough away from the head
Billmack
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Tue May 04, 2021 2:17 pm

I went the caphead route, making sure the threads were clean beforehand. Could I have some information on a recommended brand of the nickel antiseize please?
Thanks
Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue May 04, 2021 8:01 pm

I use Loctite 771. Here in Australia it comes in small tubes at most retail autostores that stock Loctite products.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Tue May 04, 2021 9:07 pm

Perhaps you guys can give some thoughts about getting bolts out where antiseize may not have been used. The exhaust manifold in my Elan has had the original studs replaced with what appear to be ordinary bolts. However this was done some years back in South Africa and I cannot trace anyone to confirm the build, but I suspect they may have been replaced without antiseize.

I need to remove the manifold but am mindful that they may not be easy to remove, so any thoughts gratefully received
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue May 04, 2021 10:18 pm

I use Bolt Buster

https://boltbusterinc.com/

There are a few new/cheaper ones out there. If your brave enough, an old coil ring element works. Propane gas will get it warm (i bet it will work in ally head), maybe best to soak for a few days with quality penetrating oil. Then again, brake fluid is the best penetrating oil known to man-kind.

Take a pick tool and scrape around the stud, so you expose the head.

good luck, I will be doing mine next week!
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed May 05, 2021 8:07 am

Many threads in the head get damaged when people who are fitting the Manifolds force Studs or Set screws in.
Before putting All the Screws/Studs you should put one in at the end to see how others line up.
Adjust Manifold so ALL holes line up WITHOUT forcing in a free state.
Then you can easily wind in with your Fingers the Studs with "Copperslip" on threads (that's what i do).
If if you prefer Set Screws/Cap Screws with your Fingers.
I have never damaged a Thread in the Head doing like this.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Wed May 05, 2021 11:17 am

rgh0 wrote:I use Loctite 771. Here in Australia it comes in small tubes at most retail autostores that stock Loctite products.

cheers
Rohan

Thanks Rohan
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: