Transverse silencer Plus 2, does this look OK?

PostPost by: NYK » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:48 pm

The job I have been putting off for over half a year has now to be done. Fitting the new SS exhaust system. Clearly the various bends dictate how it can be fitted. Objective was to get maximum ground clearance and to ensure the tail pipe does not point upwards, this is what I got.

34A7335F-A5C4-4E8F-9A1B-17F7FD2F9A35.jpeg and

80C65BC3-9C2A-4B31-B7C6-298EE86B11E1.jpeg and

45C58F2F-DC5A-428C-A530-B9988EAA48ED.jpeg and

05BD6CAF-64CF-4551-ABCF-85633D73D094.jpeg and

As you can see, the only way to ensure that the tail pipe sits as high as possible into the body recess is to allow the left hand side (as viewed) of the box to sit lower, ie the silencer box does not sit level. Two comments: the left hand side of the box is no lower than the exhaust pipe running the length of the chassis. Also if I was to set the box up to sit horizontal then the entire box sits low and the tail pipe looks pretty daft as it also is very low.
I suppose the final point of note is that when then car is on the ground, the low hanging left side of the box would only be noticeable from some way back, unless I had just run the observer over!
I believe if would take some effort, re-bending or cutting/welding to get a better fit, neither option is particularly attractive to me.
Comments welcomed.
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:26 am

Looks an awful fit from what I can see. You can't leave it like that!
I would get the silencer box fitted in a correct horizontal position as it should be and then make half cuts or full cuts though the outlet pipe, bend to shape and fit until it looks correct and then re-weld it up.
Do you have access to welding equipment ?
If not, do as above and cut /bend to sensible position the outlet pipe and take to local welder to weld up and all should be good.

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:40 am

alanr wrote:Looks an awful fit from what I can see. You can't leave it like that!
I would get the silencer box fitted in a correct horizontal position as it should be and then make half cuts or full cuts though the outlet pipe, bend to shape and fit until it looks correct and then re-weld it up.
Do you have access to welding equipment ?
If not, do as above and cut /bend to sensible position the outlet pipe and take to local welder to weld up and all should be good.

Alan.

Yes, I know you’re right ☹️. Doesn’t it just piss you off when you fork out a load of money and get rubbish in return. I spent over £30k restoring this car and the number of remanufactured parts like central console, dashboard top etc etc that simply don’t fit never ceases to amaze me.
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:19 am

I agree with Alan - I suppose you could send it back and find a better one. That one you have is an embarrassment as it is! D

Ground clearance.02.jpg and
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:25 am

Yes I agree on the poor fit of a lot of supplied parts no matter who is the supplier. The problem is that these are basically kit cars with no two cars made exactly the same!
It is much harder to restore an Elan or +2 than any other mass produced car like an MG or Triumph etc where most replacement parts supplied usually fit first time. This I think is why there are so many part restored or bodged Lotus Elans or +2's around for sale. The owners have got disillusioned or haven't got the skills to solve the problems they encountered.
Having said all that I now take the assumption whenever I order anything for my +2 that it will almost certainly need fettling in one way or another before it will fit correctly. That way then you don't get disappointed!

Take heart...don't let it get to you!....Everything is sortable!...It just takes a bit of extra time and a bit of ingenuity! :D

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:48 am

I’m glad you both said it looked crap because I knew it did really, but was trying to pretend it was OK. I was just trying to avoid grovelling around under the car wrestling with an exhaust for hours on end. Although it’s on a full length ramp it’s still not that far off the ground and my shoulders will complain mightily after a day working on it. As for sending it back, we all know that suppliers go into total denial mode when you suggest their parts are at fault.
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:53 am

As well as the the box not being horizontal (left to right across the car) I would imagine the tail pipe should be either horizontal, or pointing slightly up, certainly not angled down as it currently is.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JohnP » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:47 pm

You can come and have a look at mine if you like, which seems to be ok.
Twickenham.
PM me.
JohnP
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elated » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:44 pm

There is no way this tail section would fit any +2 ever made and selling it as suitable is inexcusable - it is not fit for purpose. Irrespective of your legal rights, you owe it to other would-be purchasers to take it up with the manufacturers and/or retailers.
A good start might me to share this thread with them.
Gordon
elated
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:25 pm

elated wrote:There is no way this tail section would fit any +2 ever made and selling it as suitable is inexcusable - it is not fit for purpose. Irrespective of your legal rights, you owe it to other would-be purchasers to take it up with the manufacturers and/or retailers.
A good start might me to share this thread with them.
Gordon

Well I can tell you that I bought it from SJSportscars for £584 (complete system), I remember that the storeman was a total arse as he sold me some brackets that were not for use with transverse box but kept insisting “black was white” despite me explaining that the parts manual said otherwise, he eventually begrudgingly accepted he was wrong.
Forgive me for being a defeatist, but I expect that when I have a conversation with them tomorrow they will claim that they have never received a complaint from anyone else and/or invite me to send it back as my expense.
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elseezed » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:42 pm

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=37918
Old topic from rich c.
Les
Elseezed
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:18 pm

Interesting thread. I remember ' back in the day' that +2 tail pipes tended to slope upwards. Quite a few years ago I bought a stainless steel system ( probably from Christopher Neil) and was always a bit unhappy that the tail pipe was more or less horizontal. Recently I'd been looking into it and noticed that SJ sportscars list two transverse rear silencers - one prior to chassis 929 and one unspecified. I havnt got around to asking SJ what the difference is but wonder if it could be the relative angles of the pipes causing drooping tailpipe syndrome?
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:45 am

I guess the earlier ones came out the side like that because I have a later one that comes at the middle; meanwhile could not not comment on your great color, just super, Gordon
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:36 am

Looks like they've supplied the worn item, as its more like an S1/2/3 silencer than +2 to me.

Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elseezed » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:34 am

This problem has been going on since 2016, I've encountered it as have other early +2 owners. Nothing wrong with the silencer and its alignment, it is the link pipe that is incorrectly bent at both ends. It is an expensive item and with hind sight I should have sent it back and had a stainless link pipe fitted at a good exhaust firm.
I just hope our parts suppliers that we rely on don't have large stocks of these link pipes.
IMG_1027.JPG and
Fitted now with tailpipe extension

Les
Elseezed
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: