Engine mount - not height...

PostPost by: HumBuck » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:33 pm

Hello All,

I'm in the process of mounting the Twincam engine in my 2016 Sypder +2 frame. I believe I have the correct Spyder struts (LH and RH) and rubber mounts, in the correct orientation.

But when I offer the engine up I get a gap fore and aft of about 1/2" on the drivers side. See pics.

mount1.jpg and

mount2.jpg and

The gearbox is nice and central and the engine also seems to be square to the front cross member, so all seems fine, but I am sure to be missing something.

The only modification that I have made is that he stand offs on the passenger side mounting needed to be about 3/8 longer than the 1.125" spec in the Spyder manual, for the fore and aft bolt holes to line up nicely.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Humbuck
HumBuck
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:49 pm

Assume your car is rhd. Have you got the spacers between the engine and the Spyder mount on the other side?
Otherwise your Spyder mount is on the right way, so I would try giving it all a good jiggle and then tighten Up the engine mounts to see if it all settles into place.
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:12 am

On my plus 2 spyder chassis the engine mounting arms were handed and stamped LH and RH and no spacers required. The arms are a different length ( to accommodate elimination of the spacers) and if swapped also move fore aft versus the chassis mounting points so worth checking .

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HumBuck » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:29 pm

Thanks for replies.

Yes its RHD and stand-offs/spacers on the exhaust side.

Have jiggled and jiggled but the gap remains.

That's interesting that some chassis didn't need spacers. The instruction sheet that I have from Spyder does say they are required for mine though. Does seem odd that they would go to the bother of fabricating the arms and not have them reach from the mount to the block, but I'm sure there will be a reason.

I have RH on inlet side and LH on exhaust, which seems correct?

Have emailed Spyder so will see if they can solve the puzzle.

Thanks

Humbuck
HumBuck
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:45 pm

HumBuck wrote:I have RH on inlet side and LH on exhaust, which seems correct?

Humbuck

That shoulkd be correct, LH & RH are defined from Driver's position looking forward, so does not matter if it's a LHD or RHD car. :wink:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:06 am

If they are the same length and you are using spacers then maybe just try swapping the arms over. They may have been stamped incorrectly ?

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:16 pm

Just a thought. They’re not upside down on the engine by any chance?
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:24 pm

If the suggestions to date don't pan out, it may be worth posting up pictures of how the sump and gearbox mounts are sitting (with a ruler in the picture). also the gap between the bulkhead and cam cover /block.
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: HumBuck » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:38 pm

Thanks again for suggestions. A few more photos from tonight to help show the situation.

LH Bracket - excuse the messy core plugs. Note tubular part of bracket seems approximately central on block plate.

IMG_0108.JPEG and

LH Bracket form Front - Spacers are actually 4mm longer (red arrow) than the 1.125" spec - not sure where I got 3/8" from above.

IMG_0110.JPEG and

RH Bracket - Note that tubular part appears to be not central on plate. Sitting too far to the right (red arrows) which corresponds somewhat with the alignment gap on the bolts (green arrow). Also that bottom right washer is touching the weld bead, which seems odd.

IMG_0113.JPEG and

Gearbox mount. Pretty much central.

IMG_5663.JPEG and

So at the moment, best guess is that RH bracket isn't quite right, which would be surprising as these things must be made up on a jig.

Suspect Spyder are closed for November lock down so will see what they reckon on return.

Will try swapping mounts over next time I am out.

Thanks

Humbuck
HumBuck
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: