water pump

PostPost by: street » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:00 pm

Engine is stripped for rebore, looking at other things to do, whilst it is apart.

the water pump has an amount of surface rust, perhaps i should upload a photo, how much free spin should i have, its not lumpy, but it does not spin freely?

No issues on leaks at present, so leave it alone?
street
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:19 pm

As the spindle presses against a seal and there isn't much inertia it's not likely to spin too well so it may be fine. Normally the bearings wear gving the seal a hard time until it breaks (which happened the week before my wedding).

But as you have the front casing out of the engine I would take the opportunity to change the pump, especially if it has been in for a long time.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:14 am

Absolutely +1. Then you can forget about it.
Sod's law says 2 weeks after getting the motor back in and the car running, it'll fail.
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:30 pm

and fit my twin pulley system!! :D
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:29 pm

Why anyone doing this would not put in a new front cover and removable cartridge pump is beyond me. There is no question that they are problematic. Yes, they are $700 or so ....but next time you have to replace it you have to buy a head gasket set...a new pump....and pull the head and pan again. Seems like a no brainer to me. And the cartridge pumps are a great deal more robust.

I know I am going to get remarks on how "my pump has lasted 20 years" and " I dont have any problems" and 'I have a new design" but it still stands the stock pumps ARE a problem area. Why take the chance for the $500 difference in what it will eventually cost you.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:01 pm

I agree with Tony, but have decided to use a Davies Craig electric pump. The engine is assembled but has yet to run.

Just another option,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:24 pm

Hi Tony,
Have you fitted the Dave Bean type removable water pump?
If so, was it a straight forward fit, and how has it been since fitting?
Also, what innards of the pump is in the DB pump?
Cheers,
Colin.

quote="tvacc"]Why anyone doing this would not put in a new front cover and removable cartridge pump is beyond me. There is no question that they are problematic. Yes, they are $700 or so ....but next time you have to replace it you have to buy a head gasket set...a new pump....and pull the head and pan again. Seems like a no brainer to me. And the cartridge pumps are a great deal more robust.

I know I am going to get remarks on how "my pump has lasted 20 years" and " I dont have any problems" and 'I have a new design" but it still stands the stock pumps ARE a problem area. Why take the chance for the $500 difference in what it will eventually cost you.[/quote]
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:29 pm

Just stop mucking about and fit a twin pulley system - Simples..................... :roll: :roll:
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:51 pm

[quote="fatboyoz"]Hi Tony,
Have you fitted the Dave Bean type removable water pump?
If so, was it a straight forward fit, and how has it been since fitting?
Also, what innards of the pump is in the DB pump?
Cheers,
Colin.

Yes, I have two "Bean" front covers with the removable pump fitted. They work well as long as you really use RTV on all the screws and bolts. No issues at all. I cant remember what Ken at Dave Bean told me the pump was from. I will call him and ask. Dave told me (before he passed) that it was much more robust.

And sorry I just dont agree with the "twin" pulley stuff. That does not address the central problem. The stock pump is problematic as it is designed. I have had pumps that I barely had tension on the darn thing and they failed due to lack of use. I sold my Elan to Bill R up in Seattle in 1998 or 1999. Just put a water pump in it, loose belt...etc. When I bought the car back in 2004 and drove it cross country back to Buffalo, we got as far as Nebraska City Nebraska when the pump gave up the ghost. In the 5 years Bill owned the car he put like 200 miles on it. As soon as I got in the car to drive it back and looked at the mileage, I knew we were not going to make it home. This is not rocket science guys. Sorry to be so blunt but I am getting old.
Tony Vaccaro
Drive Fast Take Chances
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:58 pm

Hi guys,
I just called Ken and as soon as I asked him, I remembered. They use the bearing out of the Esprit Turbo.

Tony V
Tony Vaccaro
Drive Fast Take Chances
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:31 am

Thanks Tony,
Will purchase a kit if/when the Ozzie dollar climbs to a reasonable level.
Cheers,
Colin.

quote="tvacc"]Hi guys,
I just called Ken and as soon as I asked him, I remembered. They use the bearing out of the Esprit Turbo.

Tony V[/quote]
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:54 am

"And sorry I just dont agree with the "twin" pulley stuff. That does not address the central problem. The stock pump is problematic as it is designed. I have had pumps that I barely had tension on the darn thing and they failed due to lack of use."

That says it all really - don't use them and suffer the consequences. The twin pulley system has proved its worth with me and a few others - no pump failures in over 30 years. What is not to like unless of course you have a highly polished "Garage Queen" !! :roll: :roll:
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:00 pm

My last replacement was in 2007 and was simply because I was doing a major overhaul, not because it was broken. It's done 43,000 miles so far.

Make sure it has the proper carbon face, rather than the cheap nylon one, and drive the car!
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:51 am

Not changed the Water Pump on my Sprint yet and i've owned it 21 Years.
I have also driven many miles in it.
To be honest i think it depends on the quality of the Pump ALSO on the method you use to fit it.
No banging and putting pressure on the new Bearing inside the Pump when assembling :oops:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: