Crank rope seal: white versus grey

PostPost by: skelteanema » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:56 am

Hi all,

After fitting a new water pump, I an now ready to fit the sump, complete with a new rope seal for the four bolt crank.
I have two gasket sets, one I purchased about 15 years ago, which has grey-graphite rope seals and a set just purchased which has white chalky rope seals. Is one type of seal better than the other or are they interchangeable?

In addition, the sump gasket on the old set is a lot thinner than the one in the new set. Is the thicker one a better choice than the thinner one?

Thanks,
Skelte
Skittle. 1967 Elan S3 DHC
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:41 am

I'd go for the one just purchased, no question.
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:08 am

For the rope seals I would use a "Kevlar reinforced graphite seal". Neither of the seal kits you have have likely to have a seal to this specification.

Keith of Weber E tube fame and vintage technology garage has explored this in detail and used a modern replacement to this specification for his Elan engine. These are used when rebuilding old Pontiac engines in the US as i understand it.

These style of seals are available in various profiles from industrial seal suppliers and i use them on packed shaft glands on hydrolysers to hold steam pressure of 4 bar in 24 hour service with very abrasive contents so they do work !

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:34 pm

I second Rohan's recommendation. I used Kevlar reinforced graphite packing in boat shaft glands in the past and the material well outperformed standard packing.
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: