Exhaust-- Gasket between manifold and downpipe?

PostPost by: elaninfuture » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:19 am

elan exhaust.JPG and
I have the early, single exit, type manifold. Is there a gasket that goes between the manifold and the downtube? Also, is the clamp (part number 7 in the diagram above) available?

Thanks, Joe
elaninfuture
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mike Ostrov » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:04 pm

Hi, Joe. I have a few of the same early manifolds. Use them on my Weber TC on the engine/gearbox dyno test stand and the 1725 cc Stromberg in the Elite/Elan MK II with the C-4 automatic gearbox.
No gasket between the cast manifold and the mild steel tapered flange. I simply use some valve grinding compound to mate the two surfaces and check that all the surfaces are shinny or use some Prussian Blueing. I have never found any sealing compound to accept the 975F exhaust temps and pressure for this joint.
Certain that someone will have the cast iron double V clamps. I do use them with stainless bolts, washers and nuts and no evidence of any exhaust gas leak. Hope this is helpful. Cheers. Mike.
[email protected] or (5l0) 232-7764
Mike Ostrov
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:09 pm

This type of clamp is used on quite a few of the British BMC Mini/1100 range of the 1960’s
This one for 32mm O/D pipe.
http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... 0to%20shop
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elaninfuture » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:09 pm

Thank you. The one listed for Minis appears too small. I measured the downtube pipe at 43 mm. The lip on the exhaust manifold where it meets the downtube is 50 mm. Let me know if anyone knows where to find one that size.

Thank you for your help.

Joe
elaninfuture
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:06 pm

while looking for the proper part, you may get going with a dual cone clamp, such as the one in this kit (here made for 45mm OD pipes) - no affiliation, just for illustration purposes

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Reparatursatz-f ... Sw9QVeXBCK

s-l500.jpg and
dual cone exhaust repair kit
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elaninfuture » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:40 pm

Thanks for your help. The ebay seller won't ship to the US. I'm looking for a supplier who will. Cross your fingers for me.
elaninfuture
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mike Ostrov » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:55 am

Hi, Joe. I have never understood how to post pictures on the formum. I can send you some embedded in an email if you wish.

A reminder the original forged clamps are marked TOP in small raised letters. This alignment is critical for the compression and fitting of the down pipe. Dont forget to lap in both joint surfaces.

Also, if you have to use an aftermarket clamp, please try to find a suitable stamped double rolled edged 1.5 mm thick type. I tried the style shown and they failed.

Happy to help, anytime.

Cheers. Mike, using original clamps on 3 TC's and no exhaust gas leaks.
[email protected] or (5l0) 232-7764
Mike Ostrov
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:43 pm

Craven wrote:This type of clamp is used on quite a few of the British BMC Mini/1100 range of the 1960’s
This one for 32mm O/D pipe.
http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... 0to%20shop

I had an '81 Mini that had that...and will NEVER forget the night I tried putting it back together in the dark in the wee hours with three tired and cranky friends waiting in the car. I was a young G.I. in Germany and we'd just left the bar after it closed. I'd parked in a place that I really shouldn't have and had to drop off a 4" kerb to exit it. The edge caught on the front silencer and caused the pipe to be yanked off the manifold, breaking away all of the flange on the pipe except for one bit about 1/2" wide. I figured I could get it to hang on that until we got back to base if I was gentle with it. But after 30 minutes of blind fettling there was no joy, so I went round back of the car, grabbed hold of the tailpipe, put a foot into the bumper, and gave it a mighty pull and twist and was free of the whole thing which I tossed into an alley and left there.
Minis were rare in Germany at that time ('88) but I found one in a local scrapyard that had an intact exhaust-system, and it was nicer/sportier than the one I abandoned! Made a nice raspy note. Too bad the car itself didn't last much longer than that, but that's another story for another time.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:12 pm

I used to have a cast iron manifold like that.
I didn't ise a gasket, just a liberal smear of FireGum.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: