Not starting- another sanity check

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:37 am

Just to point out that the distributor is driven off the jack shaft and even though you carefully set the cam timing to the crankshaft, the jack shaft and hence distributor may be wrong. Assume nothing, follow the procedure in the comments above to set the ignition timing. As mentioned, if done that way No1 spark plug lead is about 10 o clock if 12 is closest to the block. As mentioned if it’s trying to fire at the wrong time it will give the starter a hard time, but you say it doesn’t seem to sound as if it even try’s to fire? Also already mentioned, double check your earthing although it sounds ok as you have checked that it sparks well on a plug out of the engine. The engines aren’t really critical on ignition timing to just run roughly, as long as the right cylinder gets a spark somewhere around tdc on the compression stroke they will usually run. If you are 180 degrees out it will more than likely backfire.
Good luck, hope it’s something simple!
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:48 am

Got it sorted. Ignition timing was indeed the problem, pulled the distributor and re-aligned it and all is well. I thought I had done all that in the first place in the course of putting things back together, but perhaps I missed a step.

And thanks for putting up with my questions. It's not that I'm that clueless; I just like to make sure I'm investigating in the right direction while I learn what I'm doing with this car. Every step is a lesson and I'm feeling more and more confident about being its caretaker.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I was quite pleased to note that there were no major leaks, just a drop or two of oil from the filter and coolant from the no-valve radiator cap (probably lack of smoothness on the seat in the old neck). I even got the idle down to a more reasonable speed than the last time I ran it before all the work, probably due to better ignition timing. Warm starts good too.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sploder90 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:18 pm

I had something similar.

Got my dizzy rebuilt and it came with a new side entry cap and leads all built up to the same layout and lengths as the originals.
Or so I thought...
Everything other than number 1 was out so during order was all to cock.
Easy fix after a bit of initial head scratching, just had to kick myself for not checking and trusting it had been done right. Easy to spot by comparing to the old cap and it's tired numbers.
Guess having the side entry cap upside down to secure the pre numbered leads caused a tiny bit of confusion..

Found those testers that fit between the lead and the plug are great for checking sequence (plugs out) turn over by hand a watch them light up. Just balanced plugs in the valley between the cams to earth.
Also turns out to be an easy way of setting the static timing with the electronic ignition as well. Set BTDC turn dizzy. Spark plug tester blinks..
Gets you close enough to fire it up. Once your leads are in right :lol:
Sploder90
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: