Mounting engine on an engine stand?

PostPost by: skelteanema » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:05 am

Hi all,

I have removed my TC engine from the Elan to replace the water pump and I would like to mount on an engine stand preferably from the rear of the engine rather than an engine mount. I have not had this engine out before and have not mounted an engine on a stand before.

On the engine stand I have the arms that bolt to the engine are very short (30mm). Can I simply use some square steel tube as spacers (as shown) or will this put undue stress on the block? I could modify the existing arms or manufacture some new ones but would prefer not to if I can help it. However, the last thing I want to do is damage the block by doing something stupid.... :oops:

Engine stand 1.jpg and
Steel tube spacers on engine stand arms
Skittle. 1967 Elan S3 DHC
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:22 am

I prefer to mount the engine using its intended mounts. Doesn't seem to put much stress on the
engine stand nor the 'ears' of the block.
Attachments
tcmotormt.jpg and
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:56 am

skelteanema wrote:On the engine stand I have the arms that bolt to the engine are very short (30mm). Can I simply use some square steel tube as spacers (as shown) or will this put undue stress on the block? I could modify the existing arms or manufacture some new ones but would prefer not to if I can help it.
[/attachment]

I suppose you could mount from the rear with the flywheel in place, though the contraption on the photo does not look adequate to me: the square tubes are likely to squish when under shear from the hanging engine (plus head...), and the resulting bending effort of the 4 supporting bolts will not do good to the cast iron threads and ears...

If you are set not to remove the flywheel to reduce the leverage, at least you need to find some solid (i.e. not hollow) sturdy spacers for the 4 supporting bolts. As mentioned above, for that specific task a side mounting would be preferable (closer to the center of mass, no spacer so pure shear without bending of the supporting fastening components besides the tube).
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andrewelan » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:54 pm

engine mount.jpg and

I have a very similar engine stand to yours (based on the 'arms' shown) and it mounts fine to the exhaust side engine mount point
1963 Nuffield 460
1987 E28 M5 #180
2006 E90 320si
2006 E46 318Ci
2009 Elise R
2016 F11 520d
2018 T6 150TDi DSG
Andrewelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rviani » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:12 pm

While I don't disagree with the advice expressed here on using the side mount I have used the bellhousing bolt holes several times without any problem.
rviani
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: promotor » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:14 pm

The original workshop environment used the engine mounts on the passenger side (UK / OZ / NZ) of the block using a mount more similar to the one highlighted above by gjz30075. Much stronger area to mount to. Needs to be a long tube though because if it's too short the thermostat housing won't pass the frame on some engine stands when the engine is upside down.

I don't like too long a set up like you've got and want to be able to work on the rear crankshaft seal etc without issue so prefer to use one on the passenger side mount.
However, I did make up a 6 point mount for using on the rear of an aluminium BD engine as mounting on the passenger side mount in aluminium bothered me a bit! I think I fitted the crank seal with the block off the stand, then put it on the 6 point after.

DSC01391.JPG and
promotor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:50 pm

I've always mounted engines to stands using the gearbox bolt holes (Twincam and various others) with no issues. Though I remove the flywheel when doing so. Don't need any spacers then.
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:35 am

+1 for removing the flywheel and using Bell housing bolt holes. :)

Engine_Lower_Rear.JPG and
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: