Curved dipstick

PostPost by: mervtheswerve » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:07 pm

On removing the dipstick on my newly acquired S3 Elan it came out curved .It was quite difficult to remove, so I straightened it and put it back in but on removing it again it had bent again! I can't think of anything that could be doing this apart from possibly a badly fitted sump baffle, any ideas ?
mervtheswerve
New-tral

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:05 am

Maybe its had additional baffles fitted to stop oil surge.....
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:34 am

Welcome to the forum.
If the dipstick tube is not bent and is inserted to the correct depth in the front cover, the end of the dipstick just kisses the central oil baffle in the sump when fully inserted. The correct dipstick has the Ford part number stamped on it (105E 6752B) and it's pretty stiff .. I'd be surprised if you could bend it just by pushing it in, even if it is contacting the baffle.
Sump pan 001.jpg and
workshop-manual-page-e26a.jpg
workshop-manual-page-e26a.jpg (81.78 KiB) Viewed 896 times
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:03 am

Not been replaced with a flexy one from some other car has it? I don’t have a picture of the complete dipstick to hand at the moment but I’m sure someone else will be able to post one so you can compare.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mervtheswerve » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:20 pm

Please see the pic, this is after one insertion, it WAS straight when it went in, (not difficult to do over a block of wood and a pair of pliers to do the last bit of straightening) The pic sent by 'oldelanman' (thank you for the welcome) taken from inside looking at the backplate was really useful but confirmed that there can be nothing doing the bending other than an extra baffle which has been fitted and not checked out. It is a 105E 6752B.

'69S4' Thanks for suggestion, but dipstick is standard.

Anyone any other ideas?
Attachments
162_0726.JPG and
162_0725.JPG and
mervtheswerve
New-tral

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:47 pm

Well there's no doubt it's bent, something clearly is not right !
I guess it could be an additional baffle in the sump and if so I would expect the stick would go almost all the way in before making contact and any resistance is felt - is that what happens ? If it binds up sooner I would suspect the tube is bent, possibly where it enters the boss on the front cover... may be worth checking that. The tube normally points to the gap between the fan belt and the generator adjuster bracket, if yours doesn't it may indicate it's bent.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mervtheswerve » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:52 pm

Thanks olderelanman, I'll see if the dipstick tube is bent tomorrow .
mervtheswerve
New-tral

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:53 am

I have bent a dip stick just like that. It happened when I replaced a front cover with a new one and the dip stick tube hole was at a slightly different angle. The dip stick was no longer aligned with the hole in the windage tray I added as part of the sump baffle system and was bent when pushing it in. The dip stick is close to the cam chain and if bent can come in contact with it.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mervtheswerve » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:18 am

Thanks for that. It is probably the same as yours - rebuilt at some point with an extra baffle and hasn't quite got the clearance it had before.
mervtheswerve
New-tral

Total Online: