Cam Cover

PostPost by: J J DIKKE » Thu May 07, 2020 4:44 pm

Hello all,
In the opinion of all you knowledgable people, what would be the best and most foolproof method to remove any residual casting sand that remains on the inside of a previously unused cam cover ?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
J J DIKKE
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Thu May 07, 2020 9:47 pm

Soda blast or as the old BMC and lots of 60's competition builders using cast iron blocks, they painted the inner surface, to stop any casting sand releasing and to help flow of oils back down was the thinking.

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Thu May 07, 2020 10:03 pm

J J DIKKE wrote:Hello all,
In the opinion of all you knowledgable people, what would be the best and most foolproof method to remove any residual casting sand that remains on the inside of a previously unused cam cover ?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I always put mine in the dishwasher, never a problem.
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: J J DIKKE » Fri May 08, 2020 12:51 pm

Thank you. If I choose to paint the interior, following a good clean, what type of paint would I choose to use that is not likely to react in anyway with the top quality oil that I intend to use ? Any additional ideas would be welcome.

Thanks again.
J J DIKKE
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sun May 10, 2020 8:21 am

I'd suggest an epoxy paint like the POR15 paints. I've never seen a bad inner surface casting on a Two cam cam cover, are you being overly cautious or is it an after market cam cover?

Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: J J DIKKE » Sun May 10, 2020 10:37 am

Hello again and thank you for that.
I think I have some Por15 in the garage so I may well try that. I suppose I am being a little cautious however, I do not want to risk what is a very expensive engine being damaged in any way by any residual debris of any kind remaining on any engine surface.

One reads so many stories regarding engine parts not being cleaned properly causing unnecessary internal damage.

Thank you I will try this.
J J DIKKE
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sun May 10, 2020 11:28 am

Gyptal is the red paint that engine builders used to seal cast iron blocks, not sure if it's recommended to be used on ali.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: