Engine nr easy to find?

PostPost by: danbuoy1 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:31 pm

Sent the old log book off for my recent purchase which hasn't seen the road for 30 years and DVLA sent a questionnaire, to be fair they probably just want to make sure the bits and reg haven't secretly been transferred to another, however they want engine nr - the engine bay is a mess and not going to delve, pictures suggest it might be buried under bits, can I find it without removing the bits? Have dealt with DVLA before and they're quite friendly and helpful - makes a great change from usual bureaucracy.

Cheers

Paul
danbuoy1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:40 pm

danbuoy1 wrote: can I find it without removing the bits?
Paul

Maybe, look on the horizontal boss just above the RH engine mount:
IMG_9919.JPG and

If your car was not purchased as a kit from Lotus the engine # will be on the Vin plate under the bonnet:
IMG_7547.JPG and
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: danbuoy1 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:00 pm

Thanks for reply Phil, I did see some pictures on net but they all show it on a dissembled engine and as attached picture shows, dont want to start delving :lol: So with a bit of cleaning, it should be easy to find? VIN plate is no problem but of course may not match engine.

I didn't know they were sold in kit form - I guess that would be found on the DVLA heritage certificate?

Cheers

Paul
Attachments
DSC_0090.JPG and
danbuoy1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:42 pm

Shine a light between the carbs straight down.... Good luck , that's going to take some cleaning!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: danbuoy1 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:47 pm

Great - thanks Phil, weekend job.

Cheers

Paul
danbuoy1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:11 am

Paul, the engine number can also be found on the rear of the cylinder head. You’ll need a torch and a mirror to see it in situ.

It is usually located below the web that goes between the two cams on the head.

The +2 was available in component form for only the first year of production. Thereafter they were factory finished.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:48 am

Hi Paul,
it looks like your car is a late 1969 or 1970 +2S so it was not a Kit. Webers and 2 tapped holes on Camcover which was used for Stromberges if fitted. A hump on the Bonnet i imagine, Puddle Lights bottom edge of Doors and lights inside Ashtrays :wink: :wink: :wink:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:56 am

trw99 wrote:Paul, the engine number can also be found on the rear of the cylinder head. You’ll need a torch and a mirror to see it in situ.

It is usually located below the web that goes between the two cams on the head.

The +2 was available in component form for only the first year of production. Thereafter they were factory finished.

Tim

By the time of the plus 2 coming into production the cylinder heads had a two digit two number code on the rear rather than the engine number so probably no joy their unless a whole engine swap with an earlier engine block and head.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: danbuoy1 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:02 pm

Thanks for replies - that's very helpful, by the sounds of it not a kit - learning all the time :D

I'll have a look at both places mentioned @weekend, presume head should match block unless either changed. I think DVLA just want proof car still exists and the reg isn't sitting on some shiny new kit car, I've dealt with them before and very easy to work with.

Cheers

Paul
danbuoy1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: danbuoy1 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:52 pm

Had a look today and with help of carb cleaner/long brush and petrol, managed to find and clean the engine nr on block and matches VIN - took a couple of photos, hope satisfy DVLA. Didn't look on rear of head but this should suffice.

Cheers and thanks all for help

Paul
danbuoy1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:38 pm

danbuoy1 wrote:Had a look today and with help of carb cleaner/long brush and petrol, managed to find and clean the engine nr on block and matches VIN - took a couple of photos, hope satisfy DVLA. Didn't look on rear of head but this should suffice.

Cheers and thanks all for help

Paul

Excellent result! :D :D :D
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: danbuoy1 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:48 pm

pharriso wrote:Shine a light between the carbs straight down.... Good luck , that's going to take some cleaning!
:D :D
danbuoy1
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: