Engine breather

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:00 am

Noticed some have extra/better breather out the front top of the chain case, really the valve cover I believe.
Rather, is the oil filler cap not preferred. As caps are probably inexpensive compared to a valve or chain cover?

Kind Regards
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:18 am

The issue is about not carrying over to much oil with the blow by gas. The front of cam cover breather does not result in to much oil carryover as there is a reasonable oil disengaging space inside the cam cover at this point. Venting the blow by gas through the filler cap would result in a significant amount of oil carryover due to the oil mist in this area from the cams unless some oil disengaging items were included in the design - could be done but simpler to just vent at the front of the cam cover

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:06 pm

Someone recently had posted a picture of their rear left of the engine plate. The plate was to reduce oil splashing up & out the filler cap.
I will search for the picture, I suspect this may a good answer.

Thanks Rohan
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:11 pm

I suspect you'll still get a relatively high amount of oil coming out with the vapor from that location even with a plate in place. Personally I'd only consider it a good testing location to see if increased breathing is needed.

Personally I am consider some experiments around the routing of the standard breather to a venturi in the air box intake area to see I can find/create a low pressure spot to use to increase the flow via the standard breather out let. Not sure if/when I'll get around to this thou.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: