KelSport Fast Road Engine Mount Review

PostPost by: Chrispy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:25 am

Well after having an exhaust side engine mount fail after a few hundred kilometers I was quite cranky!

I did some digging around and found these:
https://kelvedonlotus.co.uk/product/ela ... ne-mounts/

I've made similar in the past and while there was some additional vibration it was quite tolerable, and to me well worth not having the A/C compressor holding the engine up against the chassis :roll: Being advertised as fast road rather than full race I took the gamble.

Package arrived from the UK within 2 weeks, and very well packed.

Looks quite well made, welding more functional than beautiful - but much better than mine :lol: Paint job was acceptable, but for show quality it would want a re-paint. Cad plating on the plates looked spot on. It also removes the need for the little spacers which I think it quite good. Came with all new hardware too.

mounts1.jpg and

mounts2.jpg and

mounts3.jpg and

After much swearing and skinned knucles I got the exhaust one changed, knocked off for the day and had a few beers. Returning the next morning I put on the carb side which went easier (probably due to the practice of the other side).

Got it all nipped up and took it for a burn.

It was a bit too racey for my liking :? Significant (well to me) vibration coming through the car... However the car felt good to drive once over ~2500rpm where it smooths out very nicely. I potter around a bit in my Plus 2, not so much of driving like a knob everywhere so I had to do something about it.

I remembered from when I put in a single urethane engine mount in my Exige it only increased vibration a tiny bit, so I re-installed the carb side standard engine mount (which was a OEM Ford unit and in great condition) and now there's a little bit of vibes from ~1100rpm to ~2000rpm, but very minor. So now I'm very happy!

To be fair to Kelsport, they are as advertised and much more suited to a racey street car. Price was fair and I have a engine that isn't going to fall out on me now. If I made it myself it would have taken a week of dicking about and lots of welding burns.

And here's some photos of my failed engine mount, clear to see some voids in the rubber. Don't know why it's so hard to make a basic engine mount :evil:

failed1.jpg and

failed2.jpg and
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:28 am

You installed the Kelsport kit in a +2. Keep in mind that the Kelsport kit is made for the Elan, not the +2, and so the mount on the carburetor side lifts the engine. Are you sure that the carburetors or airbox were not hitting the bonnet or something else when you had both Kelsport mounts fitted?
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:05 am

Interestingly my +2 had a Elan carb side mount on it already which cleared the bonnet.

I requested a +2 mount set, and the website notes they are suitable for a +2. The new mounts sat flat and level when both installed, back to it's original crooked jaunty angle now with the elan carb side mount on. Still clears the bonnet :)
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:34 am

I fitted a set of these to my +2 recently, I found them a pita to fit as the holes did not line up with the cylinder block and I had to file them out, they also left out the shorter bolts from the kit as the exhaust side mounts does not use the spacer tubes.
After fitting I thought I had done something wrong as the vibration and noise from everything in the car rattling was unbearable! Looking from underneath the car with the engine running I could see the chassis rails absorbing the vibration rather that the mountings and thought, how long it would take to crack the chassis?
I drove the car to Bromley pageant and that was enough, they had to come off! I searched around and found some good quality (I hope) oe type mounts and fitted them.. It was like having a tooth ache go away!
To be fair the vendor was very fair about it and said their supplier had changed the bushes used and this could be the issue? They gave me a full refund without fuss.
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:19 am

vxah wrote:I fitted a set of these to my +2 recently, I found them a pita to fit as the holes did not line up with the cylinder block and I had to file them out, they also left out the shorter bolts from the kit as the exhaust side mounts does not use the spacer tubes..

Yes, I had to drill mine out another 0.5mm - but it was easy and I had similar trouble with a OEM style mount before.

Mine came with the correct bolts for the engine block side on both mounts.
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:58 am

I also found the carb side brackets were cranked to try and move the engine back about 5mm where they bolt to the chassis, had to make up a spacer that I don't need with oe mounts?
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:29 pm

That style mount is great for racing but for a road car mmmmmmmm.....................????????????????
cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: innesw » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:04 pm

Chrispy wrote:well worth not having the A/C compressor holding the engine up against the chassis

A/C ?! What kind of Sorcery is this! :lol:
Innes
1965 Elan S2 (26/4681)
1973 Elan+2S 130/5 JPS
innesw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:55 pm

You can be excused since you have had other distractions!!!

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=43940
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:06 am

rgh0 wrote:That style mount is great for racing but for a road car mmmmmmmm.....................????????????????
cheers
Rohan

Like I said, I've made them for other cars with good success in the past. I'm happy with the compromise of a standard mount on the carb side, and this racey one on the exhaust. I was concerned that I had damaged the AC compressor with it hitting the chassis - but it's all good.
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:25 pm

I have fitted these fast road mounts on my S2 GTS "project" (just at rolling chassis stage) and they appear to an efficient answer.

I'm not overawed by the gold colouring so I'll do something about this involving paint or epoxy finishing.

Andrew
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: