Ceramic coating of exhaust manifold

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:59 pm

I intend to have my tubular mild steel exhaust manifold ceramic coated, and would like some advice.

Has anyone done this?

Are there any companies to avoid?

Are Zircotec worth the money?

What colour should I choose?

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:24 pm

I have a Zircotec ceramic manifold on my Elan and really rate it.

I've seen Zircotec and Camcoat ceramic coatings, the Zircotec coating appears thicker and a rough mat finish where as the Camcoat looked smooth and semi gloss ..... regarding heat the Zircotec wins hands down (the one thing that really becomes obvious is how much radiant heat the Zircotec removes, i can comfortable hold my hand 10mm away from the manifold) but the big downfall of Zircotec is it's twice the price.

Even though the white Zircotec coating works really well it can get grubby quite easy, that said it has a self cleaning property to it and things like grubby finger prints vanish after a run. I quite like the Performance white manifold as my car is white and i belive it has the best thermal performance but knowing how much it costs i'd be tempted to go with a darker colour if i was doing it again......
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:05 pm

That's really interesting, I had a Zircotec coating on the TTR manifold on my S2, it didn't seem to do anything at all, but perhaps that was down to the way the manifold was routed, it put heat into places where is shouldn't have been, after a short run the heat from one of the exhaust pipes melted the headlamp vacuum pipe! I ended up binding the manifold with heat wrap, that really worked well. Since then I've decided to rebuild the car as standard with the cast manifold.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:49 pm

What i found was the surface temp of the manifold dropped by around 25% ish but the thing that i noticed most was the lack of radiation in the surrounding area, i have a couple of nasty burns to show the surface is still very hot but i can get my hand surprisingly close to it. For mine to melt something it would have to be virtually touching the manifold.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:26 am

Had ceramic coating professionally applied by JetHot. Have to ship your parts to them for application. May be a US only product. Don't know.

The coating was done on both the internal and external surfaces. (A little reading seems to indicate that Zircotec apparently only does external surfaces ?)

Looks good. Has held up so far. Has a lifetime guarantee - will recoat if it fails.

img_6342.jpg and

img_6340.jpg and

Lots of colors available, I went with a satin black.

Haven't scientifically determined heat reduction, but their claims seem plausible:

https://www.jet-hot.com/

(no affiliation, just a satisfied customer, so far).
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:13 pm

I chose titanium for my color. Looks almost like the color of the tubing before it starts to rust, etc.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:27 pm

Zircotek black looked shabby on my exhaust after a few hundred miles, probably graphite would have been a better choice.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: crannyr » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:36 pm

I have used JetHot on all of my 4 restorations and our race car. Both interior and exterior coatings hold up well with significantly lower under bonnet heat.
Attachments
chassis-reconditioned-26.jpg and
img00003-20090815-1035_2.jpg and
crannyr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:25 pm

interesting thread, thank you : I've used wrap and found the result good in terms of under bonnet temperature control, but it's also quite fragile, and after taking the head out some chunks are missing and will need patching. I have a TTR header and the space is limited to access the fasteners, resulting in crushing the wrap fibers when bolting or unbolting the manifold. I'd rather go for a coating for my next project, esp. if it isolates as well as the wrap.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:11 am

I have used both ceramic coating and wrap on my Elans headers. The ceramic coating especially the metallic finishes looks better than the colored finishes as it does not pick up dirt marks the same and it lasts longer than wrap which gets damaged as you work on the engine. If its done on both inside and outside it also stops corrosion on mild steel headers so they last longer.

The ceramic coatings maybe stop half the heat that wrap does so I have used heat shielding on the fibreglass foot well, firewall and bonnet that surround the header and on the wires and pipes close to the header, this was not necessary with wrap.

Having tried both for about 10 years each in the last 20 years i will probably stick with ceramic coatings.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:42 am

Are these coatings fragile? Do they chip easily? Anything including the word ceramic in its description makes me think the wrestling match that is removing / replacing the manifolds, where the two halves are banged again each or the 'chassis', would end up with lumps missing by the time you got them out.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:04 am

The colored ceramic coatings are softer than the metallic coating and scratch easier but neither a really brittle and they do not chip off with normal handling. However both are much tougher than wrap.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:27 am

Thanks for that. I've been toying with getting my pipes coated as I liked the effect of wrap but not its downsides. I just had visions of being seduced by the prospect of less heat only to find that it introduced a degree of fragility that's not there with the raw metal.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:37 pm

Thanks everyone, it looks like Zircotec despite the price.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:35 pm

I went with a local company called Kool Coat Ceramic coating and had them done in black. After 5000 miles I can say there is no problem with heat although I did stick heat reflective coating to the side of the pedal box (l/h drive). There is no noticeable heat radiating into the foot well and the finish seems the same as when I had it done. The person at Kool Coat when I asked about coating the inside said "I cannot state that the inside gets properly coated and I don't believe anyone else can so I don't do it!" He charged $180Can which is about 100 quid.
I have previously used header wrap and was never satisfied with it and was always concerned that it is a fire risk. These engines leak oil and the oil seems to gather on the exhaust wrap and that is a cause for concern I think.
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: