Elan S3 radiator fitment

PostPost by: RoscoP » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:19 pm

Dear All,
Entering the home straight with my S3SE resto and am about to fit the original (recored) radiator. Does anyone out there have any pics of how the radiator is located? I have 2 brackets (one L shaped , the other Lshaped but one side more triangular if that makes sense!) but have no idea if they are correct and how they attach the rad to the car. Any pics/info gratefully received! How high does the rad sit above the steering rack for eg?
Thanks in advancw folks!
Ross
RoscoP
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: NickD » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:09 pm

Here are some pictures of the RH brackets fitted to the body. The brackets then bolt directly to the flange on the radiator. On my car the top bracket is attached one hole from the top of the radiator.

Hope this helps

Nick
img_0720.jpg
img_0720.jpg (47.42 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
img_0722.jpg
img_0722.jpg (54.89 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
NickD
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RoscoP » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi Nick,
Thanks for that, a very useful start!
Cheers
Ross
RoscoP
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: NickD » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi Ross,

Here's a close-up view of the bracket and also a general engine shot. The bracket and bolt can just be seen in the bottom right corner.

Nick

bracket-detail.jpg
bracket-detail.jpg (22.38 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
s3se-engine.jpg
s3se-engine.jpg (85.11 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
NickD
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RoscoP » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:09 am

Great, thanks Nick!
How is the rad located on the passengers side on a UK car? What height is the rad above the rack?
Questions, questions I know but I want to get this right...bit of a stickler me....wish I wasn't!!
Cheers
Ross
RoscoP
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: NickD » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:49 am

Hi Ross,
The passenger/LH mount is an exact mirror image of the rh mount. Here's another picture which shows some more detail:
lhf-engine-bay.jpg
lhf-engine-bay.jpg (96.2 KiB) Viewed 1099 times

I don't have a picture showing the height above the rack, but here's a view from the front which gives an idea of the height relative to the sides. I don't remember there being much choice with the height - one hole too high and the bonnet will touch the cap and if too low the radiator will touch the body above the ends of the rack.
engine-front.jpg
engine-front.jpg (79.12 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
NickD
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:49 am

I've always wondered about the bottom bolt, isn't it secured through the turret, with the nut hidden by the shock/spring assembly ?

If so, how do you tighten it ?

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NickD » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:42 am

There's no problem with access to the bolts. The one through the bottom of the diagonal mounting strip is the body-chassis attachment and so is threaded directly into the chassis tower, and the one securing the small lower bracket is clear of the tower, as shown below.[attachment=0]S3 Wheel Arch Screws.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
s3-wheel-arch-screws.jpg and
NickD
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:23 am

To get the correct radiator height I did it the following way.
Remove front grill if fitted.
Loosely fit rad in position.
Place bonnet on car in fully closed position.
Shine a torch in from the front grill area and check that the top of the rad is not touching the bonnet, especially the filler cap.
Within reason, I tried to get the rad up as high as possible but at the same time checking that the upper and lower rad hoses were routed correctly.
I also made up a piece of millboard to fit under the rad to improve airflow.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RoscoP » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:02 am

Nick/Richard,
Thanks for your help guys, I also looked at the parts book and the brackets are shown. I'll make up the upper brackets out of ali or stainless steel and with a bit of trial and error I'm sure I can get the sizes right.
Lotuselan.net to the rescue again!
Cheers
Ross
RoscoP
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: