Elan Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal

PostPost by: martynbrown » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:54 pm

Later this year I will be taking the engine out of our Elan to change the crankshaft rear oil seal which is the rope type. Does anybody have any tips on how to increase the longevity of these seals e.g. alternative materials?

Regards

Martyn
martynbrown
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:31 pm

I have found the rope seal difficult to make 100% oil tight. Trimming each half of the seal 1/8'' proud of the carrier and the sump groove, soaking the seal in oil for 24 hrs prior to fitting and paying careful attention to the seal's interface with the sump gasket will all help.

However I have now given up and I am in the process of converting to a lip seal. Not cheap, though, as I have needed a crank, (re ground so also new bearing shells and thrust washers) sump, flywheel, seal carrier, seal and sump gasket......
Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: martynbrown » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:55 pm

Thanks Malcolm, yes I'm sure you've got the best long term solution. I had better carry on working for a bit longer and put that on my retirement projects list! By the way which area of Wales do you live in?

Regards

Martyn
martynbrown
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:46 pm

Keith of Weber jet fame also runs a Yahoo group called vintagetechnologygarage. There are a number of detailed discussions on that of Keiths quest for a leak free rope seal twincam. He has experimented with modern technology sealing materials ( kevlar carbon ?) and says he is close to not having any leaks

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: