Water pump cover - initials in casting?

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:54 am

While going through pictures to try & help Matt's problem with engine mountings, I came across a view of the front of my engine, which I hadn't looked at in detail. The casting of the water pump cover has some letters cast into the circular bump over the jackshaft (?) - "EKD 2". This obviously comes from letters scratched into the mould as they are raised in the casting. Never noticed them before - has anyone else got them?? Who was EKD, and what happened to EKD 1?!

Jeremy
Attachments
water-pump-cover-1.jpg and
water-pump-cover-initials.jpg and
Close up
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:54 pm

I had a look at all my front covers and could see nothing similar. But I do recall seeing something like it in the past.

There have been many replica front castings done over the years and also detail difference in the front castings done originally by Lotus so at some stage someone may have put the initials in the mold for some reason.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:32 pm

at some stage someone may have put the initials in the mold for some reason.

Unlikely to be immortality, given it's a Lotus. However, people like to make their mark; all the trim panels I have collected for the +2 have a variety of signatures & cyphers - someone should really do some research!

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: