Stripped Sump Plug

PostPost by: pimkeirle » Tue May 01, 2012 5:35 pm

I've just stripped the sump plug on my 1973 +2, does anyone know if a helicoil repair is possible in situ ? If so, where do I find a supplier (nearest major town Plymouth, UK). If not, is it possible to remove the sump without removing the engine, or are there any other solutions, such as drilling and re-tapping or use of a taper sump plug ? I need the car urgently for next Wednesday, so any help will be much appreciated.
Also, what is the original size of the sump plug for this car?
pimkeirle
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue May 01, 2012 6:45 pm

http://www.google.com/search?q=stripped ... &aqi=&aql=

Lots of info on google, the above may be more help than I can.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sparkey » Tue May 01, 2012 7:48 pm

I did the same some years ago.

I don't think a helicoil will work as the thread is actually on a plate welded inside the sump (a bit like a captive nut inside the sump), and you run the risk of swarf being left in the sump. You can remove the sump pan with the engine in the car (I think you have to remove the bolted-on chassis crossmember/brace).

As I couldn't get a satisfactory result with a helicoil and I couldn't find a replacement sump at the time I cut the sump plug and surrounding area out of another steel sump with a good sump plug and thread (I think I used a crossflow sump that I had) and cut a similar area out of the elan sump and welded the good sump plug in place. It's been there for 4 or 5 years now and doesn't leak !

Good luck, it's not a pleasant job.
Steve
sparkey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Tue May 01, 2012 8:06 pm

:idea:

http://autospeed.com.au/cms/title_The-F ... ticle.html

Just a thought. Has anyone fitted one these, or similar, using a nut on the rear? (Elan or otherwise)

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:00 pm

ardee_selby wrote::idea:

Just a thought. Has anyone fitted one these, or similar, using a nut on the rear? (Elan or otherwise)

I like that idea. I think I'll make one. :)

pimkeirle wrote:I've just stripped the sump plug on my 1973 +2, does anyone know if a helicoil repair is possible in situ ? If so, where do I find a supplier (nearest major town Plymouth, UK). If not, is it possible to remove the sump without removing the engine, or are there any other solutions, such as drilling and re-tapping or use of a taper sump plug ? I need the car urgently for next Wednesday, so any help will be much appreciated.
Also, what is the original size of the sump plug for this car?

I guess you need to drill and tap to the next size up and make a plug to suit. I made a plug for my sump last year with "O" ring seals, but can't remember the thread size. Let me know the thread size (UNC or UNF) and I'll make a plug for you.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Henry VIIII » Tue May 01, 2012 11:18 pm

Cheers - Richard

Can't see how you could fit one on a Lotus Twin-Cam, because the sump plug faces downwards.

First bump in the road would rip it out.
Henry
1967 S3 FHC
A joke a day helps you work, rest, and play. :lol:
Henry VIIII
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:44 pm

Henry VIIII wrote:

Can't see how you could fit one on a Lotus Twin-Cam, because the sump plug faces downwards.

First bump in the road would rip it out.

That's why I would make one. When I do, I'll show a picture of it. But don't hold your breath.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:23 am

The "field" solution, used by a lot of bikers where a steel bolt, an ally crankcase and a large wrench don't make good bedfellows, is to drill and tap the middle of the sump plug to something suitable - 5/16" or M8 for example and screw a bolt into the hole with a fibre washer or similar as a seal.

You then clean up the stripped threads in the sump and on the plug and marry the two together with copious amounts of 24hr epoxy resin. The sump plug then stays where it is and oil is drained through the new hole you've drilled.

If you don't have instant access to a proper solution and you need the car in a hurry it may do until the next time the sump comes off.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Wed May 02, 2012 9:16 am

Henry VIIII wrote: Can't see how you could fit one on a Lotus Twin-Cam, because the sump plug faces downwards

"Downwards"?...after I read that the nipple type valve increases projection by ~17mm, but the plain version only ~ 10mm, this is how I imagined it...

If I were needing to repair a sump drain hole I would investigate further. It could stop my mechanic moaning about oil pouring down his sleeve :wink:

Sump.jpg and

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:28 am

The thread size is 9/16" UNF.
So drill out the stripped hole at 9/16" and it's just right to tap 5/8" UNF. You can then use a standard 5/8" screw with a thick flat washer.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gray » Wed May 02, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi

I'm in Modbury, you can come and look at my sump thats off my S4 at present if that helps. You should be able to get the sump off easily on the Plus 2.

I should be at the Club Lotus meeting Thursday at Plume of Feathers, Plymouth Hill, Princetown, Devon, PL20 6QQ if you want to discuss.

Regards Gray
Gray
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Wed May 02, 2012 1:21 pm

Salut Richard

ardee_selby wrote:

"Downwards"?...after I read that the nipple type valve increases projection by ~17mm, but the plain version only ~ 10mm, this is how I imagined it...

Why a nut on the rear - because they don't list 9/16" ? I'd thought of it, too - and I also don't see a problem, especially with the version without the neck.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Wed May 02, 2012 3:21 pm

vernon.taylor wrote:Salut Richard

Why a nut on the rear - because they don't list 9/16" ? I'd thought of it, too - and I also don't see a problem, especially with the version without the neck. @+ Vernon

Felicitations Vernon,

You have spotted the flaw! :)

But I was thinking...stripped thread in sump...and presumed only metric robinets are available.

Bien ? toi - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Wed May 02, 2012 5:02 pm

Salut encore

QuickvalveUK, who sell the sump tap in the UK, tell me they don't have a 9/16" UNF sump tap, neither an adapter to make another fit. The guy found the size strange - can someone confirm that 9/16" UNF is the right size, please?

Merci

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed May 02, 2012 5:41 pm

Stock thread size in the late pans appears to be 1/2 unf. 7/8 wrench used to remove.

Photo show the same nut in the inset pictures
half unf.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: