Newbie Question Regarding Engines

PostPost by: martyn-UK » Mon May 30, 2011 1:03 pm

Hi all,

I would like to start by introducing myself; my name is Martyn & I live in South Yorkshire in the UK. I have always been interested in cars having just recently completed the build of an AK427 AC Cobra replica which I had to unfortunately sell. I am now looking for another project & am interested possibly in a Lotus Elan +2 but have some questions about engines. I understand the Lotus is equipped with a 120hp engine & am wondering how tunable this engine is? Alternatively, & dare I ask, what alternative engines are available that give greater performance but still have a period look? I will be attending the UK's Donington Park Lotus show in August this year so can hopefully meet some owners to pick their brains but I could do with some advise at this stage.

Many thanks,

Martyn.
martyn-UK
New-tral

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon May 30, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi Martyn and welcome.

I think most original twincam engine +2 are left as standard as they are 40 years old and squeezing any more power out of them would affect reliability. These engines are not cheap to replace; a cheap used running engine would be around the ?2500 mark.

If you are looking for a good mod engine put Zetec into the search. If you bought a +2 you could sell the twincam and pay for a zetec conversion. Have a look at Spydercars web site.

and elan-mods-f31/

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Mon May 30, 2011 5:29 pm

Welcome Martyn,

I too love the cobra, but I got a plus 2 instead, I think to answer part of the question, the lotus engine is well catered for in tuning parts and peoples experience. Consider it as the ford block and you will find the 1600cc kent engine is a direct swap. Changing cranks rods and pistons can easily give more capacity,but not that much.unlike a big block ford or chevy. The heads and block are being remade and at a price you can get a new engine. Cam technology has come on leaps and bounds and are available for power bands at ubsurd levels too. Induction can be Carbs, or in the case of many,Fuel injection.Dont expect masive amounts of BHP/Torque for your money either,Its not a big V8.However the howl at high RPM's is intoxicating. If you were to fit a modern engine in its place then the Ford stable has plenty of options right up to the modern Duratec 2.0ltr,I supose it depends on your pocket.Even gearbox and diff ratios can be changed to suit high rpm engines and spirited driving. My the time mine has been "Modded" then it will have a fuel injected twin cam and about 145-150 BHP to play with going through a 5 speed box and a 3.54 diff with solid drive shafts.Running gear is origonal,but rebuilt.The body to be fare is a bit poor,but will never rust.

There are loads of people on the forum always willing to help and offer good advice.Find a good one and get motoring,is adictive.

Hope that helps.
Paul.(Also a cobra fan,GD or Crendon if I had the money)
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:29 am

Martyn,

For an OHC two valve per cylinder engine, with reasonable breathing and exhaust, 100bhp per litre is an achievable goal. The twin cam will give you at least 160bhp without doing anything too exotic, but you will give away tractability and reliability to get there.

I have a tuned engine, standard crank and rods, but a worked head and cams that is giving 167bhp at 7500 rpm. The engine has proved reliable in HSCC roadsports, but is a challenge to use on the road given poor low speed tractability.

Worth remembering the elan's are light, so that bhp/ton can still be reasonable even though the absolute power level is relatively modest.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Tue May 31, 2011 5:42 am

Spyder fan (Alan Thomas) is a big fan of alternate engine Elans. I believe he has a Zetec and is working out a Duratec.
elan-mods-f31/duratec-project-t22006.html

FWIW, I personally think its a great idea, with one caveat: let no TWINK be thrown out! The original Lotus Twincam motors should be found a proper home :)
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: