really easy question: cylinder order

PostPost by: chicagojeff » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:53 pm

As I recall sitting at my desk at work, cylinder firing order is 1 3 4 2. But, what is the number 1 cylinder, the one closest to the front of the car (nearest the radiator)? Sorry this question is so moronic.

Jeff :shock:
chicagojeff
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:22 pm

chicagojeff wrote: But, what is the number 1 cylinder, the one closest to the front of the car (nearest the radiator)? .Jeff :shock:

Yes,that is correct.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chicagojeff » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:25 pm

thanks...now to determine if the power loss was due to the plugs...
chicagojeff
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:09 pm

chicagojeff wrote:now to determine if the power loss was due to the plugs...

How? is it now running on 4 cyls? was it not on all cyls when it had the power loss? Is it now running on all cyls? What are you intending to do?
Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chicagojeff » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:26 pm

not exactly sure what is wrong right now...it sounded like it was missing on number 4. But there is more going on I think. It's as if either the timing or perhaps the mixture adjustment is out of whack, like too rich, at idle or low RPMs, but a lack of power at higher RPMs. This is why I suspected the plugs.

What's odd is that I havent done anything to the car to have caused this...unless tightening the starter motor caused some voodoo.

thanks, and if you have any insights, pass em on! It's Delortto carbs, btw.

always grateful,
Jeff
chicagojeff
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:56 pm

not exactly sure what is wrong right now...it sounded like it was missing on number 4................................

How did you determine or why do you suspect #4 ?

" It's as if either the timing or perhaps the mixture adjustment is out of whack, like too rich, at idle or low RPMs",.......................................

Timing would not only effect #4 it would effect all cyls.
mixture is unlikley to effect only one cyl. given it was running O.K. before, it would likely effect both cylinders fed by the same carb.

" but a lack of power at higher RPMs. This is why I suspected the plugs."..............................................

I'm not following here, "missing at high revs" but "out of whack at idle" and you suspect #4....why?
I'm not saying you are wrong but explain.

"unless tightening the starter motor caused some voodoo."..................

No.

Is the car now O.K. or is it still giving probs?
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chicagojeff » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:56 am

thanks Brian. suspected a cylinder because of the loping idle and lack of power. figured it was #4 because that plug was most fouled. Probably valve guides. Anyway, new plugs has solved that problem, but the idle and power still seem a bit off.

Somehow, maybe as a result of either subtle weather changes or just a screw or spring, I think the fuel-air mixture has become too rich. The other possibiity is somehow the timing has become too far advanced. How any of this happens magically (without any fiddling) is a little inexplicable, so I am going to delve into carb tweaking for the first time now. Any advice on setting the Delorttos is now welcome. thanks again! Jeff :wink:
chicagojeff
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:06 am

"subtle weather changes"...
How much does the rise/fall in temperatures affect the mixture, considering the "extremes" here in U.K. I do know that the plus2 seems/does run a damn site better in the damp (if only i could say that of the tyre grip!)
John
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:37 pm

" suspected a cylinder because of the loping idle and lack of power. figured it was #4 because that plug was most fouled"...............................

There has been a deal of discussion on here about which plugs to use, have a look at other posts.

" Probably valve guides. Anyway, new plugs has solved that problem, but the idle and power still seem a bit off." ...............................................

I would suggest a compression test first.

"Somehow, maybe as a result of either subtle weather changes or just a screw or spring, I think the fuel-air mixture has become too rich"..........

Dont jump to the carbs first, check points,timing, air leaks first.

"The other possibiity is somehow the timing has become too far advanced. How any of this happens magically (without any fiddling) is a little inexplicable"..............................................................
It can retard as the point gap closes but to advance is unlikely, even with a loose distributor it is more likely to retard.

" so I am going to delve into carb tweaking for the first time now. Any advice on setting the Delorttos is now welcome. "

Also been lots on here about carb setting but do make sure you have the air flow through the carbs about the same.
Another point to look out for as you say it has become rich, is it possible one of the carbs is intermittently flooding? this could cause a power loss and rough idleing.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: