My Vegantune is Vaguely Tuned!

PostPost by: RichardS » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:25 am

Interested in your comments Gavin and sounds as though my engine should be similar to yours so wonder why such a discrepancy in bhp between the 2. Mine is the G3 spec per the earlier post. Also interesting to see the other Vegantune adverts posted.
I remember picking up the car from Vegantune after the new engine had been fitted and they had flattened the battery so needed a jump start! They were also very slow on producing an invoice and documents which took some months to produce and I seem to remember having to coax them with a letter from the AA legal department to get the paperwork.
Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:26 am

I still find the G3 spec a load of B****s***t . The only way to get 150 hp from a 1600cc twink with a standard bottom end running a10:1 to 11:1 comp ratio is via a high lift short duration cam and good porting and exhaust system and a lot of other attention to detail Vegantune was not using those types of cams or the spring packs to accommodate them as they did not exist in those days. I believe they were using a long duration low lift cam as was the technology of the day which may have felt like 150hp at 6500 rpm but was not ( unless you had your own tame dyno :lol: )

If some one has the lift and duration of the various special Vegantune cams i would like to see it.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:41 pm

We must have been knee deep in it back in the 70?s then !!
This is a BRM Twincam spec from the 70?s
p1030295.jpg and
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: