starter

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:09 am

OK guys for the first time in 25 years of brit cars I have had a starter completely jam the fly wheel----no amount of rocking or glorious English epithets would free it up -[ this should not happen within 400 yards of a school -- church --or hospital ]------had to undo the bolts to free the Bendix ---so the question is ---do i keep the Bendix shaft scrupulously clean with brake cleaner ----use wd 40 -- white grease --or auto trans fluid ---ed :(
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:53 am

Ah Ed,

The glories of bendix starters. Sorry to hear of your problem.

I keep the bendix shaft clean and use a light oil. This side of the pond it's called 3-in-one. Suppose you guys might call it gun oil.

Regards,

Hamish.

PS I've just replied to another post in this forum about a new battery. With a little digging around, the bendix solution may be at hand!
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:20 am

twincamman wrote: had to undo the bolts to free the Bendix ---so the question is ---do i keep the Bendix shaft scrupulously clean with brake cleaner ----use wd 40 -- white grease --or auto trans fluid ---ed (

Ed,
I only use wd40 or the equivalent on the shaft as I think oil/grease attracts dirt, I also think the problem may not be the "lubrication" of the bendix but you may have a flywheel tooth issue. It has been disussed a few times before but I have found useing a 9 tooth bendix on my S2 (worn f/wheel teeth) gave problems, I changed to 10 tooth and no more probs.
Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:48 pm

OK thanks guys ---Hamish -- here in Canada we are not allowed guns so we call it sewing machine oil ----ed
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: storrar54 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:34 pm

I personally always use dry graphite flakes, usually sold in a small puffer pack and made to lubricate locks. Its the only product which lubricates without attracting dirt which all greases & oils do over time. Its also rather good for locks!
Richard
storrar54
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: