Coil Temperature

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:50 pm

Guys,

A quick question. Just got my engine running again after a major rebuild :D .

I was pottering about with the engine running checking for fluid leaks when I touched the coil. Yikes, it was hot. Like, far too hot to keep contact with. :o In all my years working on cars I've never come across this. Then again I din't think I've ever touched a coil after the engine had been running for 10 mins.

Pardon my ignorance but question - how hot should the coil get?

Coil is a Lucas white top. No balast resistor. Aluminuim casing is earthed.
I am using magnecor blue ignition leads with NGK plugs.
Rev counter is not acting unusually.
Distributor is fitted with Lumenition optical gubbins.

Am being neurotic?

Regards,

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:06 pm

Hamish,
That's caused from idling for long periods with an ignition system that does not have any intelligence. Because the dwell is fixed in angular duration there is a longer time the current is flowing through the primary circuit heating up the coil while it's sitting stationary. If you're going to idle like that it's best to provide a cooling source of air for the coil. BTW, the old style 25k volt coils run cooler then the useless high performance ones do. :)

The new micro-processor controlled hall effect switches vary the dwell based on the rpms and reduces that problem.
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:55 am

Have a look underneath the coil at the markings,you may have a 6v coil?
John
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:51 am

Thanks guys, as informative as ever.
What you say makes a lot of sense, Keith. I don't plan to let it tickover for long periods. I was checking for coolant leaks and testing the otter switch to see if it worked properly in situ and fired up the fan.

It's amazing just how much a coil heats up in this kind of situation. I have made sure there is no chance of it coming into contact with any of the surrounding wiring.

Keith - I remember your eh, 'hostility' towards sports coils in previous posts and that is influencing me towards a new standard coil. What makes of coil do you rate?

Regards,

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:50 pm

I buy 'Standard' brand coils. They are probably only available here in the USA though. The truth is the high voltage coils give zero benefit put are a liablilty. If you goto the Innovate Motorsports website and read the technical article Klaus has written on this subject you'll get the straight facts of the matter.
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: