Big Valve engine build with 15 thou pistons

PostPost by: miked » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:41 pm

I have abandoned my quest to do the Zetec elan S4FHC. I am now into a build on a big valve TWINK. Can anyone advise me. I have obtained an engine and am on with rebuild. The bores and piston are in good condition. It looks like a recent build. The pistions are however + 15. I am told that these have got to be original Lotus as this is one on their odd ball sizes and you can not get them. I am wondering if this is the case and if anyboby has a spare set of rings for the pistions. I can give more info' if anybody thinks they can help. I am ok this time as the rings are not worn. Look like someone did a bore but left the head etc.

Thanks Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:56 pm

Burton Power / QED / John Wilcox are all good suppliers of engine bits and advice. If +15 is no longer available why not just go to +20?

The block on my twinc is +40 with liners.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:13 pm

I may be a heathen but what about trying +20 rings,gapped to suite of course???? Is there that much of a difference????
John
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:28 pm

I think you might get away with regapping 20 thou compression rings to 15 thou but I think you would have a problem with the oil rings, I have doubts it would work.
The 15 thou rings were an original Lotus part and was the only oversize Lotus supplied, I remember fitting some several years ago, I presume you have conacted Lotus to see if they can help? if not a 20 thou rebore might be your only option.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:24 pm

John & Brian, the thought had crossed my mind about gapping up and using the 20 thou rings but I am not clued up enough to know. Will take Brian's advice.

I have not tried Lotus yet, but will.

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:01 pm

Mike,
The lotus part number for a +15 thou compression ring is A026E 0733
and the oil ring is 026E 6004
If I remember correctly the compression rings could be either 1.5mm or 2.00mm thick but the parts book does not show different ones.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:05 am

Mike,

I've just completed a rebuild of my twink. It's now +40.
The reason for the rebuild was the previous owner bored the block out 7 thou too big when doing an engine overhaul.
When I bought the car it had been lying inactive for three years. It took a while to get it going and when it did the rumbling waterpump bearing drowned out most other engine noise. When I eventually got the car running properly there was a fair amount of piston slap. An engineer pal said I should strip the engine and have a look - thus the rebuild. To cut a long story short I have a set of +20 powermax pistons that have done only around 12,000 miles and still look like new apart from some very minor carbon stains.
If you are interested in these send me an e-mail [email protected]. I don't want much for them.

The block could easily be honed from +15 to +20 and you would need to fit a new set of rings but that would give you a pretty good engine.

Regards,

Hamish
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:55 pm

Guys, thanks for your help.
Hamish, tried you on emial re the pistons but cant raise you. Looks like Dave has them. Could you please let me know.

thanks Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: